Herculaneum Transportation Tips by toonsarah Top 5 Page for this destination
Herculaneum Transportation: 3 reviews and 4 photos
Ticket counter for the Circumvesuviana trains
We found it very easy to get to Herculaneum from Naples by train, so it’s not necessary to take a sightseeing tour unless you want to. There’s a great little line called the Circumvesuviana that leaves from an off-shoot of the Centrale railway station in the city. You can buy your tickets at a counter there, or in the main ticket office (where you need to go to the specially indicated counters – 7 & 8 when we were there). We tried both and found the former was quicker so I suggest you head straight to that area of the station. Tickets are really good value. We paid €1.70 each way on a weekday (November 2007 prices), and at weekends you can get a €5 pass to cover multiple journeys – great value if you’re planning consecutive days out or want to do as we did and travel on from Herculaneum to Pompeii on the same day.
Trains seemed to be pretty frequent (the longest we waited was about 20 minutes). You reach Ercolano Scavi, which is the stop for the ruins at Herculaneum, about 20 minutes out of Naples. Don’t confuse this with the Ercolano Miglio D'oro stop (the second travelling from Naples, but first if travelling from Pompeii). When you get off the train at Ercolano you’ll have about a 10 minute walk to the ruins downhill though the modern suburban town that surrounds them. This is well signposted, and passes several cafes and restaurants if you’re looking for refreshments either before or after your visit.
More Reviews (15)
toonsarah's Related Pages
Herculaneum Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A city locked in time"
- "Herculaneaum, one of many"
- "An Amazing Place"
- "An entirely different experience."
- "Vesuvius , The Most Famous Volcano In The World"
- "A day in Herculaneum"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Herculaneum
- Transportation in Herculaneum
- Warnings and Dangers in Herculaneum
- See All...
Explore the World
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- Los Angeles Hotels
- Bali Hotels
- Islamorada Hotels
- Key West
- Riva del Garda
Badges & Stats in Herculaneum
- 16 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Herculaneum?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Herculaneum
Photos in HerculaneumSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 172 reviews, 476 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 98 reviews, 211 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 45 reviews, 166 photos
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 144 photos
- Krakow Intro, 34 reviews, 140 photos, 8 travelogues