"A great discovery" Top 5 Page for this destination Monreale by toonsarah
Monreale Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 117 photos
I confess I hadn’t heard of it prior to our visit. Yet it has the most amazing cathedral – when our taxi driver claimed it as the most beautiful in the world he may have had a point! The exterior is imposing, perched on a hillside at the bottom end of the town, but it is the stunning interior that makes this such an unmissable sight. Almost every surface is ornately decorated, in particular with rich blue, gold and other colours of mosaic, depicting the main stories of the Old and New Testaments.
No one of any faith, or of none at all, can fail to be moved by the sight.
In addition to the stunning interior it’s also possible to climb the steps to the cathedral roof, from where you’ll get a fantastic view of the cloisters below and the surrounding area. But don’t try this if you don’t have a good head for heights!
While in Monreale you should also be sure to visit the cloisters, where each pillar is unique, and wander the streets for more wonderful views of Palermo and the bay below. There are also several bars and tavernas, and a few interesting shops. If you’re here in the evening when most of the day-trippers have gone you’ll find it a friendly unpretentious town in which to experience a sense of the real Sicily.
- Pros:The cathedral, and the wonderful views
- Cons:None really, allowing for the limitations of any small town
This is a modern hotel in the residential area of Aquino, a short drive, bus or cab ride away from Monreale. It's... more travel advice
Of course the big attractions in Monreale are the cathedral and the adjacent cloisters, but it’s worth taking the time... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Monreale Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A great discovery"
- "Monreale - Cathedral City of Sicily"
- "Monreale: A Hill Town & World-Class Cathedral"
- "The jewel near Palermo"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Monreale
- Hotels in Monreale
- Transportation in Monreale
- Restaurants in Monreale
- Warnings and Dangers in Monreale
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Monreale
- 8 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (108)
Have you been to Monreale?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Monreale
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 191 reviews, 540 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 108 reviews, 250 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 52 reviews, 204 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 144 photos