"A city in perpetual motion" Top 5 Page for this destination Naples by toonsarah
Naples Travel Guide: 1,268 reviews and 3,187 photos
There is always something going on to catch your eye – a street performer, a lively debate in a café, an old man watching from a stone balcony, a woman putting out the washing next door and gossiping, and scooters weaving constantly through all the apparent chaos.
A long weekend in early November turned out to be a perfect time to visit Naples – warm sunny days and the tourist haunts of Pompeii and Herculaneum not too crowded at all.
Evenings were admittedly chillier, but still very pleasant, and bars and cafes had a welcome number of locals as well as visitors, so we felt we were experiencing something of the everyday life of this tumultuous city.
Because we made the most of the sunny weather to do some trips out of the city, you won’t find a comprehensive set of tips on Naples here; it’s more of a personal view coupled with a selection of the sights that particularly appealed to us in the short time we had available, mainly in the old Centro Storico district.
I’ve also made separate pages about the places we visited in those side trips, Herculaneum, Pompeii and Sorrento, and done a brief overview of each destination under “Off the Beaten Path” here.
- In a nutshell:Intense, exhausting and life-affirming
The Cathedral of Naples (or Duomo) is dedicated to San Gennaro (Saint Januarius), the city's patron. Originally built... more travel advice
I’ve made a separate page about Sorrento, so this is just a brief outline of why you might want to go there. A sunny... more travel advice
- See All Christmas cribs
- See All Vesuvius
- Crossing the road
- See All Circumvesuviana
toonsarah's Related Pages
Naples Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "guide to the hidden Naples"
- "Benvenuti a Napoli!!"
- "A city in perpetual motion"
- "NAPLES – the treasure of Campania!!!"
- "Naples....Sun, Aromas and Tastes"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Naples
- Hotels in Naples
- Transportation in Naples
- Nightlife in Naples
- Restaurants in Naples
- Shopping in Naples
- Warnings and Dangers in Naples
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Naples
- 33 Reviews
- 86 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (151)
Have you been to Naples?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Naples
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 222 reviews, 688 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 128 reviews, 316 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 67 reviews, 279 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 46 reviews, 247 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 49 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos