"Palermo" Palermo by toonsarah

Palermo Travel Guide: 461 reviews and 1,121 photos

Palermo Cathedral

Following Newcastle United in Europe has led us to places we might never otherwise have visited, including Palermo.

We holidayed in Sicily many years ago, in Taormina (which we loved) but never got across to the western side of the island and to its perhaps somewhat infamous capital city. Our recent weekend there was a chance to find out just what we'd missed!

Highlights

We only had a couple of days to explore but this was time enough to walk through the main part of the city, see some of the most interesting sights, including the striking cathedral, sample some local delicacies (I’d forgotten how good Sicilian ice-cream can be, and the excellent red wine!) and even to get outside the city to nearby Erice and the amazing hill-top town of Monreale.

• Pros:Attractive buildings, good food and wine
  • Cons:Horrendous traffic!
  • Last visit to Palermo: Nov 2006
  • Intro Updated Dec 23, 2011

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Nice page Sarah!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
      Nov 8, 2013 at 2:10 AM

Thank you for visiting Dee :-) Just back from Japan and mainly in writing mode but will continue my European tour with you in due course!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Nov 8, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Don't worry about that. I am in writing mode too. Have heaps to do!

• starship's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2011 at 7:09 AM

Nice page. We have been in Sicily twice, though only to Palermo once. It seems to have some great architecture but I was sorry we didn't find the people very friendly -- especially since a set of my grandparents were from Sicily.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2009 at 3:12 AM

I'm always in favour of travelling for a reason, and following Newcastle United in Europe has surely taken you to some fine places you might otherwise not have visited. (With me it tends to be an opera house or an innovative bicycle system that lures me.)

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2009 at 4:54 AM

170 Toon fans invade Palermo - loved it LOL!! The best spada I ever ate was right here. Just found/posted photos from my time in Mondello. Grazie for top tour! <(•¿•)>

• Oct 27, 2008 at 9:46 AM

I always loved to visit Italy and more South Italy, also its near to me country. Nice page

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2008 at 6:42 PM

Imagine all the fans for both sides flying the black & white if Palermo kept their original colours ;~)

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2008 at 8:55 AM

i somehow missied this gem of a place wen i went to to sciliy

• cnango's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2008 at 5:35 PM

Beautiful cathedrals,cobbled streets, arched passageways and narrow lanes lined with shops…… sounds wonderful. I love your beaut pics & descriptive tips.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2008 at 6:43 AM

You seemed to see quite a bit besides the game. Lovely architecture, nice hotel, good ice cream, and great photos.

• Tijavi's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2007 at 7:09 AM

Enjoyed your Palermo pages - the food, the cathedrals, the ice cream - and thankful for that laundry mistake! The consequences must had been devastating! :-)

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Palermo

Have you been to Palermo?

Latest Activity in Palermo