Pompeii Transportation Tips by toonsarah
Pompeii Transportation: 43 reviews and 29 photos
Pompeii Scavi station
We found it very easy to get to Pompeii from Naples by train, so it’s not necessary to take a sightseeing tour unless you want to. There’s a great little line called the Circumvesuviana that leaves from an off-shoot of the Centrale railway station in the city. You can buy your tickets at a counter there, or in the main ticket office (where you need to go to the specially indicated counters – 7 & 8 when we were there). We tried both and found the former was quicker so I suggest you head straight to that area of the station.
Trains seemed to be pretty frequent (the longest we waited was about 20 minutes). You reach Pompeii Scavi, the station for the ruins, about 35 minutes out of Naples. Tickets are really good value. We paid €1.70 each way on a weekday (November 2007 prices), and at weekends you can get a €5 pass to cover multiple journeys – great value if you’re planning consecutive days out or want to do as we did and travel to both Herculaneum and Pompeii on the same day.
When you get off the train turn right and you’ll find the main entrance to the ruins just a couple of minutes’ walk along the road. You’ll pass several cafes here if you’re looking for refreshments either before or after your visit – see my Restaurant tip for a recommendation.
More Reviews (18)
toonsarah's Related Pages
Pompeii Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The wonderful Roman town of Pompei"
- "The Dead City"
- "Striding across Pompei"
- "Frozen in time"
- "The Uncovered City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pompeii
- Hotels in Pompeii
- Transportation in Pompeii
- Nightlife in Pompeii
- Restaurants in Pompeii
- Shopping in Pompeii
- Warnings and Dangers in Pompeii
- See All...
Explore the World
- Penrith Hotels
- Kaifeng Hotels
- June Lake Junction Hotels
- West Pensacola Hotels
Badges & Stats in Pompeii
- 19 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Pompeii?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pompeii
Photos in PompeiiSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 172 reviews, 476 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 98 reviews, 211 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 45 reviews, 166 photos
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 144 photos
- Krakow Intro, 34 reviews, 140 photos, 8 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (158)
Latest Pompeii hotel reviews
- Houses and Villas- 78 Reviews, 201 Photos
- Human Remains- 28 Reviews, 37 Photos
- Theaters- 42 Reviews, 61 Photos
- Ruins and History- 49 Reviews, 76 Photos
- Baths- 30 Reviews, 74 Photos
- Forum - Foro- 31 Reviews, 69 Photos
- Temple of Apollo- 34 Reviews, 62 Photos
- Streets- 46 Reviews, 87 Photos
- House of the Faun- 30 Reviews, 48 Photos
- Amphitheater- 19 Reviews, 38 Photos
See All Pompeii Things to Do