"Life in the Cinque Terre" Top 5 Page for this destination Riomaggiore by toonsarah
Riomaggiore Travel Guide: 291 reviews and 941 photos
Riomaggiore, like all the Cinque Terre villages, is set on the steep hills that line this coast. It is divided into two by one of these hills, at the top of which sits a small castle. The station is in the northern half, while the picturesque harbour, main street and most of the more interesting old buildings, as well as accommodation, are all in the southern one. We found it an excellent base for our stay in the area, and a great one in which to get a feel for the Cinque Terre – the history, culture and way of life of the people who for centuries have carved a difficult living out of this unyielding soil and mountainous terrain.
In fact, one of the things that most fascinated me about Riomaggiore, and the Cinque Terre region in general, was watching how people lived here, which is in many respects just how they must have lived for centuries. This is an unforgiving landscape for human habitation – steep, stony hillsides do not lend themselves easily to cultivation, even of such tolerant crops as olives and vines, and they are little better when it comes to building as it is so hard to find a level surface on which to lay your foundations. Yet people do live here, and the villages thrive despite these challenges.
We visited all five of the Cinque Terre villages during our stay: Riomaggiore, Manarola, Corniglia, Vernazza and Monterosso al Mare. As Riomaggiore is where we stayed, I will group all of my tips about the region as a whole here, rather than repeat all of them five times.
- Pros:Beautiful scenery, good food and wine - Italy ar its best
- Cons:A little too crowded in the height of the season
This is a lovely shop for foodies! It showcases the typical produce of the Cinque Terre – herbs, olives, different... more travel advice
These photos show some other local customs we spotted and liked: Photo 1 ~ on a Sunday evening all the older locals... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Riomaggiore Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Life in the Cinque Terre"
- "The First Village of the Cinque Terre"
- "Riomaggiore - it's all about love...."
- "Cinque Terre - Riomaggiore"
- "5 Terre"
- "Le Cinque Terre"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Riomaggiore
- Hotels in Riomaggiore
- Transportation in Riomaggiore
- Nightlife in Riomaggiore
- Restaurants in Riomaggiore
- Shopping in Riomaggiore
- Warnings and Dangers in Riomaggiore
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Riomaggiore
- 30 Reviews
- 86 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (235)
Have you been to Riomaggiore?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Riomaggiore
Photos in RiomaggioreSee All Photos (86)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 233 reviews, 727 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 138 reviews, 363 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 68 reviews, 300 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 56 reviews, 293 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 67 reviews, 279 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 55 reviews, 259 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue