"The flavour of Italy" Sorrento by toonsarah

Sorrento Travel Guide: 638 reviews and 1,414 photos

View of Vesuvius from the Via Marina Grande

A sunny Saturday in early November turned out to be a perfect time to visit Sorrento on a day trip from Naples.

Even then this attractive seaside town was pretty busy and I can imagine that in the height of the season it might become unpleasantly so. As it was we had a lovely time strolling the streets and photographing the many interesting little details of its buildings. I was particularly taken with the many small shrines on the walls, and how well looked after they all were, with beautiful fresh flowers by each.

We had a lovely walk down to the Marina Grande, the less touristy (and, despite its name, the smaller) of the two harbours. This is a great place to soak up some local atmosphere as, despite the influx of tourists, you still sense that people are going about their daily lives in much the same way as they would always have done.

Here we could sit in the sun at a small, unpretentious restaurant with a chilled white wine, some grilled sardines and a fresh tomato salad, watching a few local fishermen passing the time of day.

We also enjoyed an ice cream in the main square, the Piazza Tasso, and shopping for local delicacies such as lemon biscuits and olive oil. It was hard to remember that at home in London November’s gloom and drizzle had started – a real mini dose of summer to treasure!

If you want to follow our walk to the Marina Grande, please read my Things to do tips in the order I’ve written them here – otherwise feel free to wander at will around this pretty town with me!

~~~o~~~

• Pros:Relaxing little town
  • Cons:No major sights; could be too busy in summer
  • Last visit to Sorrento: Nov 2007
  • Intro Updated Dec 23, 2011

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2014 at 7:30 PM

From your descriptions I think Sorrento sounds quite nice. I love your photo of the framed mt.Vesuvius!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
      Jan 5, 2014 at 9:43 AM

Thank you Dee. We had a lovely day out here and there were some great photo opps!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Fine tips on this beautiful sunny town! I must admit I have never read a word by Torquato Tasso and have only heard of him because there is a play about him by J. W. Goethe. I didn’t even know that Tasso was born in Sorrento.

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2011 at 12:20 AM

Wonderful pages of Naples and surroundings, so useful and interesting! And I love your pictures. Thanks a lot :-)

• Feb 23, 2011 at 4:24 PM

lemon granitaaaaaa! i could do with one now, its freaking so hot here. havent got married yet, but already planning next years holiday. i think i need this region in our itinerary.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2010 at 4:44 AM

LEMONLAND !! Lemonland.... Did I tell you that Dan, the VTer who visited me in Gubbio after Bevagna, brough me lemons from Amalfi coast? God, they are so delicious.... maybe I should reconsider my plans :-) Haha, no, but visit Sorrento :-)

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2010 at 8:55 AM

Hello, Sarah! It was interesting to read your page about Sorrento, a splendid Italian destination!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2009 at 6:45 AM

I enjoyed such a lovely tour of Sorrento. It all looks so delightful! Thanks for sharing!

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2009 at 2:28 AM

Good page Sarah. I have to re visit Sorrento one day. Ciao!

• Tijavi's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2008 at 6:43 AM

Thanks for this (another) topnotch page. Seems like Sorrento's charm is in its scruffiness. A bit of trivia: the pics are of the Madonna (Virgin Mary) and Child (infant Jesus) - popular images for Roman Catholics. Cheers from the desert!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2008 at 2:40 PM

What a lovely presentation of Sorrento. Great views of the Bay & love the pic of the dried chillies. The lemon granita sounds delish.

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Sorrento

Have you been to Sorrento?

Latest Activity in Sorrento