"The flavour of Italy" Sorrento by toonsarah
Sorrento Travel Guide: 649 reviews and 1,455 photos
Even then this attractive seaside town was pretty busy and I can imagine that in the height of the season it might become unpleasantly so. As it was we had a lovely time strolling the streets and photographing the many interesting little details of its buildings. I was particularly taken with the many small shrines on the walls, and how well looked after they all were, with beautiful fresh flowers by each.
We had a lovely walk down to the Marina Grande, the less touristy (and, despite its name, the smaller) of the two harbours. This is a great place to soak up some local atmosphere as, despite the influx of tourists, you still sense that people are going about their daily lives in much the same way as they would always have done.
Here we could sit in the sun at a small, unpretentious restaurant with a chilled white wine, some grilled sardines and a fresh tomato salad, watching a few local fishermen passing the time of day.
We also enjoyed an ice cream in the main square, the Piazza Tasso, and shopping for local delicacies such as lemon biscuits and olive oil. It was hard to remember that at home in London November’s gloom and drizzle had started – a real mini dose of summer to treasure!
If you want to follow our walk to the Marina Grande, please read my Things to do tips in the order I’ve written them here – otherwise feel free to wander at will around this pretty town with me!
- Pros:Relaxing little town
- Cons:No major sights; could be too busy in summer
From what we saw, shopping for souvenirs seems to be a favourite occupation for visitors to Sorrento. The narrow... more travel advice
This tip is not so much about “Off the beaten path” as above it! Everywhere we went in Sorrento we saw these... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Sorrento Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "An excellent base for exploring....."
- "Sorrento - Sunshine by the Sea"
- "Sorrento - Pearl of the Amalfi Coast"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sorrento
- Hotels in Sorrento
- Transportation in Sorrento
- Nightlife in Sorrento
- Restaurants in Sorrento
- Shopping in Sorrento
- Warnings and Dangers in Sorrento
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sorrento
- 12 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (118)
Have you been to Sorrento?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sorrento
Photos in SorrentoSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 222 reviews, 688 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 128 reviews, 316 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 67 reviews, 279 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 46 reviews, 247 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 49 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos