"Italian charm" Spello by toonsarah
Spello Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 51 photos
In fact, its relatively low number of visitors is a large part of its appeal, as tourists mingle in its streets with locals; galleries and craft shops jostle side by side with those selling everyday local produce; and tables in restaurants are easily come by.
For me the main pleasures here were simply strolling the streets and observing daily life on them; peering down the characteristic winding alleys and admiring the colourful flowers; relaxing over a leisurely lunch with friends and later with a delicious gelato; and admiring the wonderful views over the surrounding countryside.
But there a few specific sights to look out for too – enough to make you feel you have “done” Spello, but not so many as to make that doing into a chore. A church with marvellous Renaissance frescoes; an arch left over from Roman times; medieval walls and towers built on still-evident Roman foundations.
It is hard to imagine anywhere could more concisely capture the charms of Italy than does Spello, in fact.
- In a nutshell:So typically Italian
This little shrine is one for all us VT-ers who travel with a camera fixed almost constantly at our eye! When I saw... more travel advice
While Santa Maria Maggiore is the most well-known and noteworthy of the churches in Spello there are many others, and... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Spello Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Italian charm"
- "Spello is a Delightful Surprise!"
- "My favorite place in Italy!"
- "Pietra e Fiori"
- "The old town of Spello"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Spello
- 9 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Spello?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Spello
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 185 reviews, 512 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 107 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 52 reviews, 204 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 144 photos