"On Chinese Hat" Isla Sombrero Chino by toonsarah
Isla Sombrero Chino Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 92 photos
This was the second island we visited on Galápagos cruise on the Angelito. Early in the morning after our first night at sea, at about 4.00, the Angelito left the sheltered spot where she had been anchored and headed here, arriving at 6.20. After an early breakfast we landed on the island, after a short cruise in the dinghies along the shore of nearby Santiago.
The trail here is short and easy-going, with a wet landing on a small white sand beach, where the first sight that greeted us was a mother sea lion and her newborn pup, which Fabian estimated was just a few hours old. There were quite a few other mothers and babies too, and we spent some time enjoying observing and photographing them.
We then followed the trail past lots of Sally Lightfoot crabs, with their distinctive red and pale blue colouring, and then crossed some lava rocks to a point where the waves were crashing against it. Here there were more crabs and some lava lizards. We then returned the way we had come, and back to the boat, as it was time for our first snorkelling trip off nearby Santiago.
This is one of a series of pages about the various islands we visited on our Galápagos cruise. In those individual island pages I aim to describe in more detail what we did on each island, the environment and landscape, and the wildlife to be found there. But for detailed descriptions of the animals and plants etc I have included links to my main Galápagos page, rather than repeat myself too much here.
To follow our trail here as we experienced it, please read my tips in order, starting with our landing.
And when you have finished your visit to Sombrero Chino, do continue to the next island on our itinerary, Bartolomé
- In a nutshell:One of the less visited of Galápagos Islands, so a bit of an “exclusive”!
Before landing in Sombrero Chino we had a short panga ride along the rocky lava-covered shore of Santiago which lies... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Isla Sombrero Chino Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sombrero Chino - Chinese Hat"
- "On Chinese Hat"
- "Interesting island to visit"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Isla Sombrero Chino
- 3 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (235)
Have you been to Isla Sombrero Chino?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla Sombrero Chino
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: MAJOR PROBLEMS WITH 15 DAY..."
- Commented on one of toonsarah's Isla Sombrero Chino travel pages
- updated a Isla Sombrero Chino Travel Page "On Chinese Hat"
- Uploaded a Photo to "On Chinese Hat"
- Wrote a Review Landing on Sombrero Chino in Isla Sombrero Chino Transportation
Photos in Isla Sombrero ChinoSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 233 reviews, 727 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 138 reviews, 363 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 68 reviews, 300 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 56 reviews, 293 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 67 reviews, 279 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 55 reviews, 259 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue