"The last of our Galápagos Island landings" Islas Plazas by toonsarah
Islas Plazas Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 69 photos
We came to South Plaza on the last afternoon of our Galápagos cruise on the Angelito. It was the tenth island we visited, and before we landed I had thought that maybe I was “all island-ed out”, but yet again I was to be surprised by the variety of experiences the Enchanted Isles can offer.
After a dry landing on a rocky shore, we followed the relatively easy trail among the brightly coloured Galápagos carpet weed or sesuvium. We encountered a number of brightly coloured male Land Iguanas, the same species of these that we had seen on our first island visit, on North Seymour.
The trail climbs slowly and on the far side of the island emerges on top of a cliff. From here we had a wonderful view of the birdlife – Shearwaters, Frigatebirds, Pelicans diving for fish, and the beautiful Red-billed Tropicbird. Further along the cliffs we saw a bachelor sea lion colony and then followed the loop trail back to our starting point, having also seen a yellow warbler, swallow-tailed gulls, ground and cactus finches, and marine iguanas. It had been a lovely walk to mark the end of our time on the islands.
This is one of a series of pages about the various islands we visited on our Galápagos cruise. In those individual island pages I aim to describe in more detail what we did on each island, the environment and landscape, and the wildlife to be found there. But for detailed descriptions of the animals and plants etc I have included links to my main Galápagos page, rather than repeat myself too much here.
To follow our trail here as we experienced it, please read my tips in order, starting with our landing.
- In a nutshell:Yellow iguanas, red sesuvium, blue sea – another colourful island
We had arrived at the Plazas just before lunch, and the Angelito had moored between the two islands, of which only... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Islas Plazas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Islas Plazas - Plaza Sur (South Plaza)"
- "The last of our Galápagos Island landings"
- "ISLAS PLAZA GALAPAGOS EQUADOR"
- "One of my favorite islands"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Islas Plazas
- Transportation in Islas Plazas
- Warnings and Dangers in Islas Plazas
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Islas Plazas
- 3 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (108)
Have you been to Islas Plazas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Islas Plazas
- Posted in Travel London Forum "Re: A trip in early may to..."
- Commented on one of toonsarah's Islas Plazas travel pages
- updated a Islas Plazas Travel Page "The last of our Galápagos Island landings"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The last of our Galápagos Island landings"
- Wrote a Review Landing at Plaza Sur in Islas Plazas Transportation
Photos in Islas PlazasSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 191 reviews, 540 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 108 reviews, 250 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 52 reviews, 204 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 144 photos