"On not seeing the Northern Lights" Top 5 Page for this destination South Iceland by toonsarah
South Iceland Travel Guide: 187 reviews and 594 photos
My abiding memory from this trip will be the wonderful light in which these spectacular landscapes were bathed for much of the time at least. It was February, so some bad weather was probably inevitable, but we were lucky to have sunshine on two of our three days, and being so low in the sky throughout the day meant that the light was always warm and never harsh. Add to that the sharp silhouettes of icy mountains, rainbows dancing in the spray in a waterfall, waves crashing against a black lava beach, perfect reflections in the stillest of pools ... Truly, this is a photographer’s paradise.
After an initial night near the airport in Keflavik, we based ourselves at the Hotel Ranga about an hour’s drive east of Reykjavik. We chose it for its reputation as a great place from which to see the Northern Lights (staff undertake to wake you if the lights appear at any time during the night). It disappointed on that front, but not on many others. This is a very special place to stay, Aurora or no Aurora, although the restaurant may just have got a bit too ambitious for its own good. No matter – we were very cosy here, with a comfortable bedroom, a hot tub just outside our door, and a welcoming bar (and polar bear!)
In our three days of sightseeing we managed to see a little of the capital, Reykjavik, and spend two days driving around the famed Golden Circle and along the south coast. Highlights for me were the dramatic coastal scenery around Dyrhólaey; the falls at Gullfoss, Skógafoss and Seljalandsfoss; and a fabulous sunrise one morning over Eyjafjallajökull.
Too soon it was time to come home, but we did so resolving to return for a longer visit very soon. Iceland had captured our hearts, and we knew we would be coming back.
If you would like to follow our South Iceland trip in the order we visited the places, you can do so by starting with my first tip, our flight to Keflavik, and following the links in each tip. Or of course you can simply work through each section as you choose!
- Pros:Stunning landscapes bathed in an often wonderful light
- Cons:When it's wet and windy, it's VERY wet and windy!
We flew to Iceland with Icelandair, from London Heathrow to Keflavik. The plane was very new and like all of... more travel advice
As we were arriving at 4.00 pm, and as in February it gets dark in Iceland soon after 5.00 pm, we decided that we... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
South Iceland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The south-coast of Iceland."
- "On not seeing the Northern Lights"
- "From the Glaciers to the Ocean"
- "The Surreal Glaciers..."
- "Land of Midnight Sun, Northern Lights, and more :)"
- "In awe"
- "Iceland is a cool place to visit"
- See All...
- Things to Do in South Iceland
- Hotels in South Iceland
- Transportation in South Iceland
- Restaurants in South Iceland
- Shopping in South Iceland
- Warnings and Dangers in South Iceland
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in South Iceland
- 25 Reviews
- 100 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to South Iceland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in South Iceland
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Euromeet 2013 in Sibiu, Romania"
- updated a South Iceland Travel Page "On not seeing the Northern Lights"
- Uploaded a Photo to "On not seeing the Northern Lights"
- Wrote a Review Flying to Iceland in South Iceland Transportation
- Uploaded a Video to South Iceland
- Commented on one of Regina1965's South Iceland travel pages
Photos in South IcelandSee All Photos (100)
Videos in South IcelandSee All Videos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 172 reviews, 476 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 98 reviews, 211 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 52 reviews, 204 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 144 photos
- Krakow Intro, 34 reviews, 140 photos, 8 travelogues