"A Garden of Eden?" Top 5 Page for this destination Ngorongoro by toonsarah
Ngorongoro Travel Guide: 143 reviews and 484 photos
The Ngorongoro Crater is the world's largest unbroken, unflooded volcanic caldera – 610 metres deep, 20 kilometres across and 260 square kilometres in area. It was formed when a giant volcano exploded and collapsed on itself some two to three million years ago.
The crater plays host to almost every individual species of wildlife in East Africa, with an estimated 25,000 animals within the crater, and the protected environment and plentiful water and food available on the Crater floor throughout the year means that many of them never leave (resulting in serious in-breeding among the lions, for instance). This “captive” wildlife means that great sightings are guaranteed year round.
We spent one whole day driving in the crater and during that time saw:
~ rhinos (a mother and baby)
~ lions (a pride of five asleep under a tree)
~ cheetah family (parents and three cubs)
~ gazelles (both Grants and Thompsons)
Birds seen included:
~ crested cranes
~ black kites
~ sacred ibis
~ marabou stork
You can read about the other destinations we visited on this trip on my Tanzania, Tarangire and Zanzibar pages.
- In a nutshell:A paradise for humans and wildlife (except perhaps for the inbred lions)
One morning Reginald asked if we would be interested in visiting some typical Maasai homes, to which the answer was... more travel advice
Flamingos are very common on the large lake in the centre of the crater, Lake Magadi, because of its saline nature.... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Ngorongoro Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ngorongoro Conservation Area"
- "Ngorongoro Crater - Eighth Wonder of the World?!!"
- "Ngorongoro Crater - oh, oh, oh!"
- "A Garden of Eden?"
- "Ngorongoro - Open Air Zoo"
- "A huge crater"
- "The Ngorongoro Crater"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ngorongoro
- Hotels in Ngorongoro
- Transportation in Ngorongoro
- Restaurants in Ngorongoro
- Warnings and Dangers in Ngorongoro
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ngorongoro
- 7 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (156)
Have you been to Ngorongoro?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ngorongoro
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 233 reviews, 724 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 130 reviews, 332 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 67 reviews, 279 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 46 reviews, 247 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 49 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos