"Elephants, elephants, elephants!" Tarangire National Park by toonsarah

Tarangire National Park Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 59 photos

Elephants coming down to the river, late afternoon

We stayed a couple of days in a tented lodge here which sits on an escarpment with fantastic views over the park below. The highlight of our time here was the large number of elephants who love in the park. I never tired of watching them, especially the oh-so-cute babies, and capturing them on camera, as I found when I returned home and counted just how many elephant photos I had taken!

A river runs through the park, and has water even in the dry season (as when we visited), making it a magnet for wildlife. An evening game drive here will give you great photo opportunities as the elephants and other animals come down to the water to drink.

Animals seen here:
~ elephants
~ more elephants!!
~ lions (a lioness stalking a zebra, and another “baby-sitting” three cubs)
~ giraffe
~ zebra
~ mongoose
~ wildebeest
~ impala
~ oryx

Another feature of the park is the large number of baobab trees, which are almost as photogenic as the elephants. There were several in the tented camp, adding to the “back to nature” atmosphere. Our evenings were spent watching darkness descend over the park over a cold beer, chatting to other visitors and Reginald, our guide, about animals seen, and then returning to our tent under the baobab tree to fall asleep surrounded by (thankfully) distant animal calls.

You can read about the other destinations we visited on this trip on my Tanzania, Ngorongoro Crater and Zanzibar pages.

• In a nutshell:An ideal place to see elephants :-)
  • Last visit to Tarangire National Park: Oct 1999
  • Intro Updated Dec 24, 2011

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2010 at 7:41 PM

Sarah, this is my favorite page! Its magical and excellent! One of the most beautiful sunset photo's I have seen. A-1!!

• Penelope4's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2010 at 7:22 AM

What an enchanting description of your experience in Tarangire! Thanks.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2009 at 4:14 AM

Fine tips about elephants and baobab trees! One of my little grandsons has a thing about baby elephants at the moment, and always wants me to read him the story about how the elephants got their trunks.

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2009 at 4:42 PM

I get the feeling that these jumbos aren't for riding on ;)

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2009 at 9:33 AM

Fabulous little page with outstanding animal photos. As a leo I especially like the lion cubs. ;-)

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2009 at 4:32 AM

Just love it! Excellent!

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2009 at 2:18 AM

thats a really nice page with some very good wildlife photos. looks like a very interesting trip.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2009 at 3:26 PM

all those elephants and not a fridge in sight !

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2009 at 11:48 PM

Wow, magic photos of sunsets!! This could be my kind of place, such a gorgeous nightlife :-)) Oh and the animals are so cute, I love the elephants and the little lions :-)

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2009 at 10:10 AM

Another brilliant page on such unusual and interesting location! Several lucky shots! The Baobabs look so impressive - never saw any one with my own eyes in reality...

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Tarangire National Park

Have you been to Tarangire National Park?

Latest Activity in Tarangire National Park