Zanzibar Island Warnings Or Dangers Tips by toonsarah Top 5 Page for this destination
Zanzibar Island Warnings and Dangers: 21 reviews and 25 photos
Picking coconuts (by Chris)
If you spend some time on a beach in Zanzibar (and almost every visitor does), be careful where you sit. A palm tree may provide some welcome shade, but a coconut landing on your head could cause major injury, possibly even death. Staff at our hotel were pretty vigilant in checking the trees regularly and picking any coconuts that appeared ready to drop, but even so we avoided sitting beneath any that had nuts on them.
No hassle from this sugar cane seller :-)
The least-appealing aspect of our stay in Stone Town was the amount of hassle we were subjected to by touts, would-be guides etc. One in particular made a real nuisance of himself. He would wait for us each morning as we emerged on to Kenyatta Road from our hotel and waylay us with demands that we buy his services as a guide. Each day we would shake him off by telling him we already had plans – a tour booked, shopping to buy. Each day he would say “Maybe tomorrow” and to shut him up, sometimes we would say “Maybe – or maybe not”. On our final morning he was there as usual, with the usual pleas to take a tour with him. When we said that we were leaving that morning (and no thank you, we didn’t need an airport transfer), he became quite abusive, claiming that we had promised him that we would take one of his tours and that he had been relying on that promise to feed his family that week. Our consciences were clear as we had made no such promise, and we didn’t really believe his claim about the money as we’d seen other tourists agree to one of his tours, but the encounter left a sour taste in our mouths at the end of what had been an otherwise great week.
This isn’t to suggest that all guides in Zanzibar adopt such hard sell techniques, nor to create the impression that the people here aren’t warm and welcoming, which they almost uniformly are. But do be aware that there is a culture of fairly aggressive touting for business and that, perhaps unsurprisingly, local people are likely to see tourists as a relatively easy source of money.
More Reviews (21)
- Typical souvenirs
- Africa House sunset
- See All Swahili dancing
- See All Jozani Forest
toonsarah's Related Pages
Zanzibar Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "KARIBU !!!!"
- "Zanzibar - The Spice Island"
- "A scented isle"
- "Zanzibar Island"
- "Idyllic Life : The Spice Island"
- "Zanzibar Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zanzibar Island
- Hotels in Zanzibar Island
- Transportation in Zanzibar Island
- Nightlife in Zanzibar Island
- Restaurants in Zanzibar Island
- Shopping in Zanzibar Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Zanzibar Island
- See All...
Explore the World
- Camrose Hotels
- Provincia de La Vega
- Ko Phangan
- Rosas Hotels
- Kampong Beribi Hotels
- Dunlewy Hotels
- CO2 Dangers
- Tajikistan Warnings and Dangers
- Fes Warnings and Dangers
- Kowloon Warnings and Dangers
- Simferopol Warnings and Dangers
- Jekyll Island Warnings and Dangers
- Colorado Springs Warnings and Dangers
- Somalia Warnings and Dangers
- Cairns Warnings and Dangers
- Postojna Warnings and Dangers
- Aberdeen Warnings and Dangers
- Kiribati Warnings and Dangers
Badges & Stats in Zanzibar Island
- 23 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Zanzibar Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zanzibar Island
Photos in Zanzibar IslandSee All Photos (51)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 172 reviews, 476 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 98 reviews, 211 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 45 reviews, 166 photos
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 144 photos
- Krakow Intro, 34 reviews, 140 photos, 8 travelogues