"A day out by the sea" Essaouira by toonsarah
Essaouira Travel Guide: 508 reviews and 1,433 photos
And so it proved – we had a lovely relaxing, though long, day out which showed us that something at least of our holiday could be retrieved despite the unexpected and unwelcome change in our circumstances.
Leaving Marrakesh after an early breakfast we headed west through a fairly dry and dusty landscape interspersed with villages and small towns. Most of these serve as markets for the Berber farmers in the surrounding area, so were full of life and interest for us.
We stopped several times en route – for coffee, to visit a carpet co-operative (and succumb to temptation there!) and to see the local oddity known as “goats in trees”. Some of my tips on this page relate to our experiences on the journey rather than to Essaouira itself.
We arrived in Essaouira in time for a leisurely lunch in the main square. The light was beautiful, the sea air refreshing, the activity around us fascinating but much less frenetic than in Marrakesh. After lunch Chris had a walk around the port area and took lots of photos, while I sat on a bench and did the same in the square.
I then managed a short hobble around a few streets in the old town (the Medina is a Unesco World Heritage Site) before it was time to head back to Marrakesh. It was dark as we approached the city and a huge red moon was rising – a sign of hope after the mess of the previous day and a wonderful end to our day out.
- In a nutshell:Just the seaside tonic we needed
It’s pretty much expected if you go on any sort of tour in a country like Morocco that you will be encouraged to stop... more travel advice
After a stressful time on the previous day, dealing with doctors and clinics and having my foot put in plaster, a few... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Essaouira Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A clean city"
- "Essaouira pronounced Essa wera!"
- "Don't ask me if pigs fly in Morocco :-)"
- "Essaouira on the coast"
- "Essaouira Attractions."
- "Essaouira: Hippy Paradise & World Heritage Site"
- "Living the dream"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Essaouira
- Hotels in Essaouira
- Transportation in Essaouira
- Nightlife in Essaouira
- Restaurants in Essaouira
- Shopping in Essaouira
- Warnings and Dangers in Essaouira
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Essaouira
- 7 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (237)
Have you been to Essaouira?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Essaouira
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 233 reviews, 727 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 141 reviews, 377 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 68 reviews, 300 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 56 reviews, 293 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 67 reviews, 279 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 55 reviews, 259 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue