"A “break” in Marrakesh" Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh by toonsarah

Marrakesh Travel Guide: 2,274 reviews and 6,274 photos

Djamaa el Fna

We came to Marrakesh with high expectations. The city had been on our “wish-list” for some years, and as this was the first holiday of any length that we had been able to take together for over a year we were determined to enjoy it.

Unfortunately just 24 hours into our trip I stumbled on the edge of a tiled basin in a fancy restaurant (see my Tourist Trap tip) and broke a bone in my foot. I spent the rest of the week on crutches which severely restricted our ability to see even a fraction of what we had planned.

Marrakesh’s ancient Medina was not designed for motor transport and is best explored on foot – something I was unable to do.

So this will not be a comprehensive page about the city, but nevertheless I hope to be able to share the impressions I got during our week there – impressions of colour, pattern, noise and activity, as I sat still amongst it all in a café on the fringes of the awesome Djamaa el Fna and took everything in.

Luckily we were still able to make some excursions by grand taxi into the surrounding area – see my Essaouira and Ourika Valley pages for more about these.

And we had already visited the beautiful Majorelle Gardens before my fall, so one at least of those “must see” sights was accomplished.

• Pros:Full of sounds, sights and smells ... and life!
  • Cons:Has to be explored on foot so not ideal if you've broken yours!
  • Last visit to Marrakesh: Nov 2009
  • Intro Updated Dec 24, 2011

• antistar's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Horrible to break your leg, but at least it gave you an interesting tale to tell :).

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
      Nov 28, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Thanks for visiting :-) Yes, it made a good story, but one I could have done without - it took over a year to properly recover!

• starship's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2012 at 7:52 AM

What a wonderful page! All of your tips were extremely helpful and so interesting! Excellent photos too. I think your bright, pink purse is beautiful; your hotel choice lovely and very appealing as were the restaurants. I'm glad you mentioned a bit about the cruelty to the monkeys---cruelty to animals is heartbreaking.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
      Dec 4, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Thank you so much for the lovely comment - I'm glad you liked this page! I went through a lot to get it ;-)

• kris-t's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2011 at 4:34 AM

Thanks for your visit to our Collingwood page.
    Great Marrakesh page!

• giampiero6's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Hi Sarah - just checking out some stats on the new member pages and came across one for this page. Visitors are engaging with this page + 82% compared to before the new design! Keep up the good work!

• aaaarrgh's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Ouchhh about the foot, but you certainly packed a lot into your stay! I quite liked the tree goat :o)

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2011 at 9:18 AM

Hello, Sarah! I am glad you have managed to see a lot ! Good for you! ><><><

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Fantastic Sarah! And thanks for the tips too! .... very helpful! We are looking forward to visiting next year! Hugs xx

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2010 at 7:56 AM

Fantastic page about the city that I wish to visit for a long time!! Enjoyed the culinary journey - luckily I had already had lunch ;) But a ginger, mind & pineapple smoothie right now would be fine :) Love the colours, courtyards... and your pink bag :)

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2010 at 8:15 AM

Superb Marrakesh travel page. Marrakesh seems to be a great tourist destination with lots of attractions especially the gardens, minaret, square and mausoluem. Day trip seems interesting. Sorry to hear about your unfortunate accident. ~ho & pang

• suvanki's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2010 at 5:08 AM

What a Great page Sarah! Thoroughly enjoyed sitting here reading about your trip (journey, not fall!!). I hope your foot is much better now. Happy Travels for 2010 Sue

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Marrakesh

Have you been to Marrakesh?

Latest Activity in Marrakesh