"Day trip to Kingston" Top 5 Page for this destination Kingston by toonsarah
Kingston Travel Guide: 108 reviews and 175 photos
Setting off from Ocho Rios early in the morning, and with a stop for breakfast en route, we travelled through the scenic Bog Walk Gorge to our first stop in Spanish Town, the island’s first capital when under Spanish rule.
From here we travelled into Kingston itself and along the Palisadoes to the small fishing community of Port Royal, founded by the British when they captured Jamaica from Spain in 1655. Once described as "the richest and wickedest city in the world", and infamous as a hotbed of buccaneers, you can still scent piracy in the sea breezes here.
Our other main stop in Kingston was at the former home of Bob Marley, now a museum and major tourist draw. Commercialised it may be, but we really enjoyed our visit; in fact I would rate it as one of the highlights of our trip.
After lunch at a great little Mexican restaurant, we drove out of the city and up into the Blue Mountains. Dave took us to one of his favourite spots, the terrace of the Strawberry Hill Hotel, for stunning views and a cup of the famous coffee – a great end to our tour.
- Pros:Lots of history, the Bob Marley Museum & surrounding scenery all make it worth seeing
- Cons:Sights are scattered and the traffic can be daunting, as can the poverty in places
- In a nutshell:You haven't really seen Jamaica if you haven't seen the capital!
I took these two photos from the window of our car, so the quality isn’t great, but I was pleased to get them... more travel advice
If you’re flying to Kingston you’ll arrive at Norman Manley International Airport, which is located to the south of... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Kingston Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Day trip to Kingston"
- "Kingston, city of contrasts."
- "Kingston, Jamaica"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kingston
- Hotels in Kingston
- Transportation in Kingston
- Nightlife in Kingston
- Restaurants in Kingston
- Shopping in Kingston
- Warnings and Dangers in Kingston
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kingston
- 10 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to Kingston?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kingston
Photos in KingstonSee All Photos (44)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 189 reviews, 521 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 107 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 52 reviews, 204 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 144 photos