"Day trip to Kingston" Top 5 Page for this destination Kingston by toonsarah

Kingston Travel Guide: 108 reviews and 175 photos

Spanish Town

Although we didn’t stay in Kingston, we were able to spend a full day there and in the vicinity.

Setting off from Ocho Rios early in the morning, and with a stop for breakfast en route, we travelled through the scenic Bog Walk Gorge to our first stop in Spanish Town, the island’s first capital when under Spanish rule.

Buccanneers and reggae beats

From here we travelled into Kingston itself and along the Palisadoes to the small fishing community of Port Royal, founded by the British when they captured Jamaica from Spain in 1655. Once described as "the richest and wickedest city in the world", and infamous as a hotbed of buccaneers, you can still scent piracy in the sea breezes here.

Our other main stop in Kingston was at the former home of Bob Marley, now a museum and major tourist draw. Commercialised it may be, but we really enjoyed our visit; in fact I would rate it as one of the highlights of our trip.

~~~o~~~

An afternoon in the Blue Mountains

After lunch at a great little Mexican restaurant, we drove out of the city and up into the Blue Mountains. Dave took us to one of his favourite spots, the terrace of the Strawberry Hill Hotel, for stunning views and a cup of the famous coffee – a great end to our tour.

• Pros:Lots of history, the Bob Marley Museum & surrounding scenery all make it worth seeing
  • Cons:Sights are scattered and the traffic can be daunting, as can the poverty in places
  • In a nutshell:You haven't really seen Jamaica if you haven't seen the capital!
  • Last visit to Kingston: Feb 2008
  • Intro Updated Dec 24, 2011

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2011 at 4:48 AM

Sounds like you saw many nice places around Kingston in one day. I think I would enjoy the Bob Marley museum too!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2010 at 9:14 AM

Great that you have such interesting stories and observations about every single place you visited!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2009 at 11:38 AM

An interesting page. I have just been to the "Blue Mountains" in Australia, didn't know there were another lot here! Good idea to hire the driver, at least everybody can have a good look at the beautiful scenery.

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2009 at 8:29 AM

Would love to visit Blue Mountains and sample the famous coffee :) Bob Marley Museum must be really interesting and it's certainly must-see for every visitor of Jamaica :) The architecture of Parade Square looks attractive as well!

• Nov 24, 2008 at 6:23 AM

Great tips and information! I like this city! And i love to be here: Bob Marley Museum! Its one of my favorite artist-singer!

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2008 at 6:21 AM

Great tips!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2008 at 6:32 AM

Seems you had a lovely time in Kingston and saw quite a bit thanks to Dave. That's a great idea to hire a driver. With five of you, it made it quite reasonable.

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2008 at 4:33 PM

I've been listening to Toots and the Maytals lately... this page fits right in with that ;~)

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2008 at 2:37 PM

I did love the rain clouds clearing on Stawberry Hill creating blue skys & I do like Bob Marley so the museum wouldn't be a tourist trap!!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2008 at 6:31 PM

Judging from this excellent page, I've got major catching up to do on your Jamaica trip! Great advice on getting a driver like Dave & also touring the Bob Marley Museum. He's one of my favourites, despite my listening to Chris Rea while I toured with you!

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Kingston

Have you been to Kingston?

Latest Activity in Kingston