Negril Shopping Tips by toonsarah Top 5 Page for this destination
Negril Shopping: 23 reviews and 31 photos
Cushion from Negril
Again on the search for more unusual souvenirs, we found ourselves one evening in the shop below the Hungry Lion Restaurant on the West End Road. As well as an interesting collection of paintings and photographs by local artists there was a small number of craft items for sale, mainly wood carvings (of a much better quality than many we’d seen in the markets, but consequently dearer) and some gorgeous silk cushions. In style they looked more Indian than Caribbean, but we were assured by the owner that they were made by a local lady, and the colours were so vibrant and the price so reasonable (US$10) that we just had to buy one. And I do mean buy a cushion, not a cushion cover, so packing it was a bit of a challenge, but of course it squashed down nicely and arrived home looking as lovely as it had in the shop. I think it looks fantastic on our dark brown sofa, and whenever I sit there I’m reminded of our great time in Negril, and of one of our favourite restaurants there.
Directions: On West End Road about four miles from town – just beyond the Rockhouse Hotel on the left.
Theme: Local Craft
Z Gallery - the sign that caught our eye
There are many places in Negril where you can buy all the usual Jamaican souvenirs – wood carvings, colourful paintings, bead jewellery, etc. Nothing really took my fancy however, until we visited this more up-market shop and gallery on the first floor of a block of shops just west of the roundabout in the centre of town (the same block that houses Burger King).
What to buy: Objects for sale here included some good paintings and photographs of typical island scenes, wood carvings, pottery, little boxes made from gourds and coconut shells, jewellery, greetings cards and table ware such as place mats. In the end I chose this glass, wire and leather necklace (photo 2) from a selection in different colours.
What to pay: I paid US$12.50 for my necklace, which I thought was reasonable – and of course, there is no haggling in a shop like this.
Address: Shop no 9, Negril Shopping Centre
Phone: 876 818 6363
More Reviews (25)
- Jenny’s Favourite Cakes
- See All Bamboo Avenue
- See All Barrett Tours
- See All Internet access
toonsarah's Related Pages
Negril Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Jamaica’s West End"
- "Negril West End Cliffs"
- "Beautiful Negril"
- "Welcome to Negril Jamaica"
- "Please see my Travel Tips for Negril, Jamaica"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Negril
- Hotels in Negril
- Transportation in Negril
- Nightlife in Negril
- Restaurants in Negril
- Shopping in Negril
- Warnings and Dangers in Negril
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Negril
- 27 Reviews
- 91 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (108)
Have you been to Negril?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Negril
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 191 reviews, 539 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 108 reviews, 250 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 52 reviews, 204 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 144 photos