Negril Shopping Tips by toonsarah Top 5 Page for this destination

Negril Shopping: 23 reviews and 31 photos

Cushion from Negril - Negril

Cushion from Negril

Collectibles at the Hungry Lion: Browse for crafts before dinner

Again on the search for more unusual souvenirs, we found ourselves one evening in the shop below the Hungry Lion Restaurant on the West End Road. As well as an interesting collection of paintings and photographs by local artists there was a small number of craft items for sale, mainly wood carvings (of a much better quality than many we’d seen in the markets, but consequently dearer) and some gorgeous silk cushions. In style they looked more Indian than Caribbean, but we were assured by the owner that they were made by a local lady, and the colours were so vibrant and the price so reasonable (US$10) that we just had to buy one. And I do mean buy a cushion, not a cushion cover, so packing it was a bit of a challenge, but of course it squashed down nicely and arrived home looking as lovely as it had in the shop. I think it looks fantastic on our dark brown sofa, and whenever I sit there I’m reminded of our great time in Negril, and of one of our favourite restaurants there.

Directions: On West End Road about four miles from town – just beyond the Rockhouse Hotel on the left.

Theme: Local Craft

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Written Apr 15, 2008
Z Gallery - the sign that caught our eye - Negril

Z Gallery - the sign that caught our eye

Z Gallery: An interesting collection

There are many places in Negril where you can buy all the usual Jamaican souvenirs – wood carvings, colourful paintings, bead jewellery, etc. Nothing really took my fancy however, until we visited this more up-market shop and gallery on the first floor of a block of shops just west of the roundabout in the centre of town (the same block that houses Burger King).

What to buy: Objects for sale here included some good paintings and photographs of typical island scenes, wood carvings, pottery, little boxes made from gourds and coconut shells, jewellery, greetings cards and table ware such as place mats. In the end I chose this glass, wire and leather necklace (photo 2) from a selection in different colours.

What to pay: I paid US$12.50 for my necklace, which I thought was reasonable – and of course, there is no haggling in a shop like this.

Address: Shop no 9, Negril Shopping Centre

Phone: 876 818 6363

Theme: Jewelry

Website: http://zgalleryjamaica.com/

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Written Apr 15, 2008

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Negril