"Jamaica’s West End" Top 5 Page for this destination Negril by toonsarah

Negril Travel Guide: 439 reviews and 983 photos

Negril sunset

I have read quite a lot about Negril on VT, both positive and negative. I have to say that we liked it, while not being blind to its shortcomings - I hope.

So this page is about my Negril.

On the cliffs

Our hotel here was the Negril Escape, in the southern part of town known confusingly as the West End, where the coastline is rocky and the hotels perched on the low cliffs.

You have the choice in Negril of staying in this area or down by the beach. If you want to spend most of the time on the sand then the latter is the better choice, but we’re only occasional beach people and preferred the funkier atmosphere of the West End.

Exploring the island

We also went on a number of tours from here. The highlight was the Rocklands Hummingbird Sanctuary, but all were enjoyable in different ways.

Rather than lots of small pages with just one tip, I’ve grouped all my western Jamaica “Things to do” here, as they’re all easily reached from Negril.

• Pros:Friendly and laid-back, with accommodation in a style to please everyone's taste
  • Cons:Over-commercialised in places
  • In a nutshell:The funky vibe is still there if you're prepared to look
  • Last visit to Negril: Feb 2008
  • Intro Updated Dec 24, 2011

• XenoHumph's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Page well done! Jamaica seems a little more wild than Martinique (in terms of human behavior, not necessary nature preserves!)!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2010 at 7:37 AM

Excellent tips on some very unusual things like the Peter Tosh Mausoleum & the Rocklands Bird Sanctuary. Seems like there is plenty to do here for those who are willing to get out and do it. (I've just posted my first historical page with scanned photos.)

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2009 at 5:57 AM

Interesting Negril travel page with excellent transportation and hotels & accommodations tips. Black River Safari, bird sanctuary and the Mausoleum certainly sound interesting to visit and explore. Thanks for the virtual tour. ~ho & pang

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2009 at 1:36 AM

An excellent page full of helpful tips for the unaware traveller! Thank goodness you were awake! Laughed about the raft trip, mine in Vietnam was underwater and my sandals fell apart because of it! Would love to visit the Bird sanctuary.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Sarah, this is just excellent. That warning tip was really something! Your attention to detail is remarkable and quite interesting. Keen insights and outstanding writing skills. The photographs are marvelous, too.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Great page, Sarah! Don't think I want to try the ganja cake though. Would definitely prefer the wildlife and the rafting :))

• Nov 10, 2008 at 6:52 AM

Hi Sarah! Another informative website of you! Excellent! Keep traveling!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2008 at 4:32 AM

Sarah, gorgeous page with brilliant photos. I like Margaret and the amazing Bamboo Avenue. Interesting story about the ganja cake. :-)

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2008 at 6:38 PM

Very well done, Sarah - as always. I loved your Ganja cake adventure. You have a talent to make your recollections interesting. Thank you for sharing.

• laustic's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2008 at 5:09 PM

Enjoyed reading about Negril from your perspective! Great trip report!

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Negril