"Sanctuary at the Blue House" Top 5 Page for this destination Ocho Rios by toonsarah

Ocho Rios Travel Guide: 271 reviews and 638 photos

Hummingbird seen from the Blue House terrace

This was the first of the two towns we stayed in on our visit to Jamaica (the second being Negril). We chose to come here because we heard it was well-located for excursions, rather than because the town itself had anything particular to offer, and I think that’s a fair assessment.

However, we did find one absolute gem in the town itself: our wonderful B&B, the Blue House.

While the town itself has little in the way of attractions, there are a handful on the outskirts – in particular, the much-visited Dunn’s River Falls and Dolphin Cove.

There are also several beaches (we liked Reggae Beach, a few miles out of the town), some shopping complexes aimed mainly at the cruise ship passengers who descend on the town almost daily, and the inevitable craft market.

Ochi (as the locals call it) does indeed make a good base for excursions. We had a day out in and around Kingston, and also visited Nine Mile, where Bob Marley was born and is now buried.

With more time we would also have liked to see Firefly (Noel Coward’s home) and Goldeneye (Ian Fleming’s), and spent more time exploring the surrounding countryside. Oh well – that just gives an excuse to go back one day and pay another visit to Elise and Darryl at the Blue House!

• Pros:Well-located for exploring the island
  • Cons:Not a lot to see in the town itself
  • In a nutshell:We had a wonderful welcome here that set the tone for a very positive Jamaican experience
  • Last visit to Ocho Rios: Feb 2008
  • Intro Updated Dec 24, 2011

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2011 at 8:12 AM

The Blue House sounds great. $250 does sound like a bit much just for a brief swim with two dolphins. We did the snake thing in Vietnam once, but I don't know how the snake felt about it.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2010 at 1:46 AM

Sarah, I see you had a great stay there! Thanks for your interesting and detailed story!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2009 at 1:56 AM

Wonderful seeing all the animals and birds, and I thought you did pretty good with photos! Birds are so hard to capture! Like the sound of the Blue House, no wonder it has good reviews.

• Oct 14, 2009 at 3:07 AM

a lot a things to do! great job.

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Blue House seems like an excellent choice, lovely ambience and delicious food!! I love conch and crab cake. Amazing Dunn's River Falls! And all the lovely animals you saw, the dolphins, iguanas and hummingbirds... Sounds like a very enjoyable holidays :)

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2008 at 2:00 PM

Lovely colourful page Sarah :) nice to note you include the pitfalls as well as the highlights = enjoyed my virtual tour!!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2008 at 4:58 PM

You are seriously undermining my doubts re Jamaica! I can't blame you for just watching the dolphins but your buddy's private ride looked amazing! I loved your colourful hummingbird shots - they can be very difficult subjects. This is a first class page!!

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2008 at 3:49 PM

Great tips and wonderful photos Sarah. Thank you for sharing.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2008 at 7:45 AM

luv this page. the business

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2008 at 10:08 AM

Your B&B seems like a great choice and sounds like you were very well looked after! Love your animal photos (and all the rest of course!).

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Ocho Rios

Have you been to Ocho Rios?

Latest Activity in Ocho Rios