"On the shores of Lake Atitlàn" Top 5 Page for this destination Panajachel by toonsarah
Panajachel Travel Guide: 133 reviews and 294 photos
Its “in your face” status as gringo capital has something of the same appeal as an English seaside resort – it may not be as pretty as that unspoilt bay just along the coast, but it’s fun, sociable and refreshingly unpretentious. And if it’s beauty you seek, the “loveliest lake in the world” (according to Aldous Huxley) is just at the end of the road.
Pana, as it is often called, was discovered by hippies in the 1960s, and you will still see plenty of slightly Bohemian-looking ex-pats on its streets, although those seeking a quieter Guatemalan lifestyle have moved on to one of the smaller villages around the lake.
And beyond Calle Santander there is still plenty of local colour too, especially in the streets around the pretty church.
Pana is also a great base for visits to the other villages around the lake, where Mayas still live much as they have done for centuries, proud to wear their local costumes and produce their traditional crafts.
We visited two of these, San Antonio Palopo and Santaigo Atitlàn, where we were able to compare the different styles of Cachikel and Tz'utujil attire. This area is 90% Maya, and 10% Latino, and despite how it may seem on Calle Santander, we gringos really are very much a minority too!
Panajachel and the surrounding villages are rightly considered among the best places to shop for handicrafts. The high... more travel advice
I don’t know if this is a regular local custom, but it’s certainly one that caught our eye! We were walking along Calle... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Panajachel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Panajachel . . . Where it's okay to be a gringo"
- "On the shores of Lake Atitlàn"
- "Tourist Central on Lake Atitlan"
- "Panajachel on Lago de Atitlan"
- "Panajachel, Guatemala"
- "8th Wonder of the World"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Panajachel
- Hotels in Panajachel
- Transportation in Panajachel
- Nightlife in Panajachel
- Restaurants in Panajachel
- Shopping in Panajachel
- Warnings and Dangers in Panajachel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Panajachel
- 21 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Panajachel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Panajachel
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 185 reviews, 512 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 107 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 52 reviews, 204 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 144 photos