"A typical Cakchiquel Maya village" San Antonio Palopó by toonsarah
San Antonio Palopó Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 38 photos
The people here are Cakchiquel Maya, and if you also visit Tz'utujil villages such as Santiago Atitlàn you’ll soon spot the differences in their traditional costumes. Whereas in the latter bright reds and embroidered flowers are the norm for huipiles, here, without exception as far as I could see, every woman and girl wears the same lovely shades of blue in narrow vertical stripes.
There are two ways to get here from Panajachel: pick-up truck (cheap but bumpy) or boat (dearer, because you will have to hire a private one as the ferries don’t call here, but more scenic). Actually there is a third way – some of the tours of the lake call here too.
But despite the few tours it is much less visited than Santiago and feels much more genuine. Locals definitely outnumber tourists on its streets and if you stray any distance from the dock and church, as we did, you will find yourself the object of curious (but not unfriendly) looks.
The village clings to the steep hillside that rises from the lake, with its little white church catching the eye perched high above most of the other buildings. Apart from the church there is little of architectural merit; this is a relatively poor community and houses are basic rather than decorative.
But this is a very good place to come to get away from the crowds of Panajachel or Santiago Atitlàn, and to get a flavour of everyday life on the shores of Lake Atitlàn.
- In a nutshell:A taste of Guatemalan village life
There are two ways to get here from Panajachel: pick-up truck (cheap but bumpy) or boat (dearer, because you will have... more travel advice
Although the church is likely to be the first thing that catches your eye, don’t let it be the only thing that you see... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
San Antonio Palopó Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "San Antonio Palopó"
- "A typical Cakchiquel Maya village"
- "San Antonio Palopo."
- "San Antonio Palopo"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Antonio Palopó
- Transportation in San Antonio Palopó
- Shopping in San Antonio Palopó
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Antonio Palopó
- 4 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (151)
Have you been to San Antonio Palopó?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Antonio Palopó
Photos in San Antonio PalopóSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 222 reviews, 688 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 128 reviews, 316 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 67 reviews, 279 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 46 reviews, 247 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 49 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos