"An encounter with an ancient idol" Top 5 Page for this destination Santiago Atitlán by toonsarah
Santiago Atitlán Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 127 photos
As soon as you dock in Santiago you’ll be met by local children offering to take you to see Maximón. It’s a good idea to accept their offer as he doesn’t have a permanent home but is hosted by a local family, moving house every few years. Of course they will expect a tip, but if you negotiate it won’t cost you too much and will mean a lot to them – and it also gives you a chance to chat to them as you walk through the town.
Our young guide, David, was trilingual and spoke a few words of his Maya language, Tz'utujil, for us. He was keen to take us on a complete tour of the town’s sights but we prefer to explore on our own so declined his offer and gave him the 15 Q we had agreed on for him and his friend.
After you have spent some time with Maximón, made the expected offering of a cigarette or some money (you’ll be asked to pay extra if you want to take photos – which of course you will), you can head for the main street to explore the craft shops. As you climb up its gentle slope you’ll come to a turning which leads through the market area to the Parque Central and church.
All of these deserve something of your time – the market for its local colour, the Parque Central for connections with the 1990 uprising / massacre, and the church for its fascinating blend of Mayan tradition with Catholicism.
- In a nutshell:Visiting Maximón is a unique experience but there's much more to do here besides
The main street here is lined with shops selling all sorts of hand-crafted items – textiles galore, wood carvings,... more travel advice
A visit to the Mayan idol, Maximón, is a highlight of any trip to Santiago Atitlàn. Unlike many such figures, you won’t... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Santiago Atitlán Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "An encounter with an ancient idol"
- "Santiago Atitlán and the rum-loving saint"
- "Traditional Tz'utujil Mayan Town"
- "Give me your Beer, your Liquor..."
- "The Tzutujil Village"
- "Santiago - say hello to Maximon"
- "Village on Lake Atitlan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Santiago Atitlán
- Hotels in Santiago Atitlán
- Transportation in Santiago Atitlán
- Restaurants in Santiago Atitlán
- Shopping in Santiago Atitlán
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Santiago Atitlán
- 7 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (235)
Have you been to Santiago Atitlán?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Santiago Atitlán
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: MAJOR PROBLEMS WITH 15 DAY..."
- Commented on one of toonsarah's Santiago Atitlán travel pages
- updated a Santiago Atitlán Travel Page "An encounter with an ancient idol"
- Uploaded a Photo to "An encounter with an ancient idol"
- Wrote a Review Shopping for handicrafts in Santiago Atitlán Shopping
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 233 reviews, 727 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 133 reviews, 344 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 68 reviews, 300 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 56 reviews, 293 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 67 reviews, 279 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 55 reviews, 259 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue