"Away from it all" Lamanai by toonsarah
Lamanai Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 77 photos
Well, I need not have worried. Lamanai was a complete contrast to Chaa Creek, where we had been for the previous three nights, and in its way even more special.
Arriving here by boat gives you a real sense of being “away from it all” and a stay here immerses you in the Belizean countryside in a way that I imagine few other places can do. Hardly surprising when you discover that the nearest hotel is 70 kilometres away!
The big draws here are, firstly, the nearby Mayan ruins, which although less extensive than, say, Tikal, have an atmosphere all of their own. You could visit these as a day trip from the coast, but a stay nearby allows you to see them in more depth and at different times of day – our early morning view of the Jaguar Temple in the mist was particularly impressive.
The second big draw is the wildlife. Expect to see a wide variety of birds, howler monkeys, crocodiles and, if you are lucky, as we were, maybe even a manatee.
There’s also an opportunity to visit an unspoiled local village – you may be isolated from your own daily life but despite initial appearances you aren’t in the middle of nowhere, and your neighbours will be friendly and welcoming.
And when not out exploring you can enjoy good home-cooking, Belizean style, in a restaurant with views to die for! Or simply relax in a hammock and enjoy these beautiful natural surroundings.
I could go on singing the praises of this place ... but come on in and explore it with me. I’m sure you’ll be as bowled over as were we!
- In a nutshell:A very special corner of Belize
If you’re looking for bright city lights and all-night dancing, then Lamanai is not the place for you. But that doesn’t... more travel advice
Tucked away in an area of the reserve between the lodge and the ruins are the remains of an old sugar mill. This was... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Lamanai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Away from it all"
- "Lamanai: Majestic Ruins via the New River"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lamanai
- Hotels in Lamanai
- Transportation in Lamanai
- Nightlife in Lamanai
- Restaurants in Lamanai
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lamanai
- 21 Reviews
- 64 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (160)
Have you been to Lamanai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lamanai
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 233 reviews, 724 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 130 reviews, 332 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 56 reviews, 293 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 67 reviews, 279 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 49 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos