"The Lodge at Chaa Creek" Top 5 Page for this destination San Ignacio by toonsarah

San Ignacio Travel Guide: 173 reviews and 419 photos

Keel-billed toucan, Chaa Creek grounds

After a wonderful nine days in Guatemala, it was time to change countries and head across the border to neighbouring Belize. This was to be a very different experience – equally good, but different.

For one thing, we were very struck by how different the two countries looked and felt – Guatemala totally Latin American in nature, Belize far more Caribbean. And for another, our travel arrangements here were also quite different. In Guatemala we had stayed mainly in towns, with local life right on our doorstep, and had explored independently, with a strong emphasis on history. In Belize we were to stay in lodges, and see much more wildlife than human life!

Our first base was something of a treat – a few nights at this upmarket lodge in the San Ignacio district. A stay at Chaa Creek doesn’t come cheap, but it is good value when you consider the nature of the resort and what’s included in your stay.

Our few days here coincided with a rainy spell (we were just at the tail-end of the rainy season) so we didn’t get out and about as much as we might have done. But if you’re going to chill for a few days, this is a great place to do it! And if you’re on a budget the nearby river camp would be a great alternative.

• In a nutshell:A special place to stay
  • Last visit to San Ignacio: Nov 2010
  • Intro Updated Dec 24, 2011

• Usctwin's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Good hotel tip - We're looking into possibly staying at Macal River camp because I saw your review!

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2011 at 6:33 AM

Sounds like you stayed at a very nice lodge and had a great time, even if the weather wasn't the best. This is very different from my experience with Belize. I visited Cay Caulker in 1990 and also took a chicken bus to Punta Gorda, a 10h ride.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Sarah, it sounds like you made a brilliant choice with your accoms at Chaa Creek! Your set menu tip reminded me of Sue & I enjoying the same thing near Durban years ago. Excellent tips as always and great that you did not let the rain slow you down much!

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2011 at 7:38 AM

I would love to go back to Belize some day and see this part of the country, we were only able to visit Cayes on the 1st visit. Thanks for the virtual visit :-)

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2011 at 4:17 AM

Great shot of the toucan, Sarah & sounds like you made the very best of some shoddy weather. Nice to know about camping option though not sure Belize is on our radar anytime soon even if the Herbal Passion sounds tasty!

• Jan 17, 2011 at 11:41 PM

the birds here are magical, esp the toucan, my favorite! you definitely stayed in a nice place as opposed to our dingy dodgy backpacker accom! lol

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2011 at 11:27 PM

Have very fond memories of San Ignacio. Your accommodation looks very nice, so do the casitas. I'm impressed by how many birds you saw, lucky you! Herbal Passion certainly sounds delicious and would like to try the sorrel juice. Love ginger.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Oh wow, what a stay! I think I even vaguely remember them, since we did the Medicine Trail and canoeing on Macal River! That place is a gem! Have looked a bit on the website! Oh, and did they also call toucans flying bananas?

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in San Ignacio

Have you been to San Ignacio?

Latest Activity in San Ignacio