"Viva Cuenca!" Top 5 Page for this destination Cuenca by toonsarah
Cuenca Travel Guide: 264 reviews and 809 photos
The old colonial centre, where we stayed and where we spent most of our time, is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, for good reason. At its heart is the main square, the Parque Calderón, with two cathedrals (old and new), and in the surrounding streets are more churches, attractive old houses, interesting museums and some great bars and cafés for the essential activity of people-watching.
We were fortunate enough to be here at a weekend when two festivals were taking place – the nationally-celebrated Day of the Dead (Día de los Muertos) and the local celebrations that mark the anniversary of the city’s independence from Spain on 3rd November 1820. The city was in party mood and the various celebrations added to our enjoyment of it.
We had a great couple of days here, and I left wishing it could have been longer. We managed to see quite a lot in that time however, as you will read from my tips. That is due in part to the excellent guide from local company, Terre Diversa, whose half-day walking tour took us to some surprising places off the beaten path, as well as some of the main sights.
I have arranged my tips here in some sort of logical order, loosely based on the geography of the city combined with our own wanderings. To follow this please start with my first tip, our Flight from Quito.
- Pros:Lovely architecture, a temperate climate, friendly atmosphere, and some of the best restaurants in the country
- Cons:Too far from London to go for a weekend!
We came to Cuenca by air (with Ecuadorean airline TAME) from Quito where we had been spending the first part of our... more travel advice
When we first arrived in Cuenca it was about 9.00 am. We had been up since 5.00 and not had breakfast (only a drink was... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Cuenca Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Viva Cuenca!"
- "Cuenca: A Choice Destination"
- "A World Heritage Site!"
- "Cuenca in Ecuador"
- "Cuenca - Ecuador"
- "Overwhelmed in Cuenca"
- "Cuenca, a Real Gem of a City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cuenca
- Hotels in Cuenca
- Transportation in Cuenca
- Nightlife in Cuenca
- Restaurants in Cuenca
- Shopping in Cuenca
- Warnings and Dangers in Cuenca
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cuenca
- 33 Reviews
- 125 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (108)
Have you been to Cuenca?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cuenca
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 189 reviews, 521 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 107 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 52 reviews, 204 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 144 photos