"Home of the Waved Albatross" Isla Española by toonsarah
Isla Española Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 204 photos
This was the eighth island we visited on our Galápagos cruise on the Angelito, spending a whole day here at two different visitor sites. It was one of the islands i had especially wanted to visit, and more than lived up to my expectations, giving me some of my most memorable Galápagos experiences.
In the morning of our visit we made a wet landing on the beach of Gardner Bay. This is one of the few places where it is permitted for visitors to wander without the close attendance of a guide, so Fabian left us largely to our own devices. We walked along the beach near the water’s edge, where a large number of sea lions had congregated. Several of the females had babies, mostly fairly young, and one little pup in particular took an especial interest in us.
Later in the morning we snorkelled here, and I got my closest view so far of a sea turtle, though I missed seeing the stingrays that some of the others spotted.
In the afternoon we landed on the other side of the island, at Punta Suarez. Here we did one of the longest, and certainly the hardest, of the week’s trails, 3 km in length and very rocky. But it was more than worth the effort involved, as it led to the world’s only Waved Albatross colony. These awesome birds nest nowhere else, and are only to be found on Española between late March and late December, so we felt really privileged to have seen them.
This is one of a series of pages about the various islands we visited on our Galápagos cruise. In those individual island pages I aim to describe in more detail what we did on each island, the environment and landscape, and the wildlife to be found there. But for detailed descriptions of the animals and plants etc I have included links to my main Galápagos page, rather than repeat myself too much here.
To follow our trail here as we experienced it, please read my tips in order, starting with our first landing.
And when you have finished your visit to Espanola, do continue to the next island on our itinerary, Santa Fe
- In a nutshell:Don’t miss the chance to see the awesome Waved Albatrosses if you possibly can!
Española is one of the more remote islands, and the crossing here from Santa Cruz took all night, but passed without... more travel advice
The sands of Gardner Bay were dotted with Galápagos sea lions all along their length, as far as the eye could see. These... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Isla Española Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Isla Española"
- "Home of the Waved Albatross"
- "ISLA ESPANOLA GALAPAGOS GROUP OF ISLANDS"
- "The Three aspects of Espanola"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Isla Española
- 9 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (237)
Have you been to Isla Española?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla Española
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Learning the Lingo."
- updated a Isla Española Travel Page "Home of the Waved Albatross"
- Commented on one of toonsarah's Isla Española travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Home of the Waved Albatross"
- Wrote a Review Landing at Gardner Bay in Isla Española Transportation
- Uploaded a Video to Isla Española
Videos in Isla EspañolaSee All Videos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 233 reviews, 727 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 141 reviews, 377 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 68 reviews, 300 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 56 reviews, 293 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 67 reviews, 279 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 55 reviews, 259 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue