"Bird Island" Isla Genovesa by toonsarah
Isla Genovesa Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 166 photos
Genovesa is a must for bird-lovers and keen photographers especially, as it attracts an enormous number of ocean-going seabirds that come here to nest: Great Frigatebirds, Red-Footed Boobies, Swallow-Tailed Gulls and Storm Petrels all breed here by the thousands.
The journey here is a long one, and consequently it remains less visited than some of the other Galápagos Islands. The small engines of some of the cheaper cruise boats cannot reach it in a comfortable amount of time, and the larger boats (over 40 passengers) are not able to enter the natural harbour formed by its caldera. But if you find an itinerary that includes this remote spot, go for it!
This was the fourth island we visited on Galápagos cruise on the Angelito, and one of my favourites. There are two visitor sites here so we spent most of the day, apart from lunch, on the island. In the morning we had a wet landing on the white sand of Darwin Bay, at the heart of the caldera. The trail here is at first sandy and later over rocky lava. The first part was especially awesome – lined with red mangrove trees, in every one of which several Red-footed Boobies were nesting, and posing for our cameras.
Later in the morning there was an opportunity for snorkelling in the caldera but I decided to spend some time relaxing on deck and catching up with my journal – not a bad decision as it turned out, as visibility was poor and those who went said that it was the least good of all the snorkelling sessions of our week on the Angelito.
Our afternoon landing was at Prince Philip Steps, where a steep but short climb leads to a trail across the cliffs. Here we saw Nazca Boobies, more Red-footed Boobies and juvenile Great Frigatebirds here, but perhaps most notable were the short-eared owls which here are not nocturnal as you would usually expect.
This is one of a series of pages about the various islands we visited on our Galápagos cruise. In those individual island pages I aim to describe in more detail what we did on each island, the environment and landscape, and the wildlife to be found there. But for detailed descriptions of the animals and plants etc I have included links to my main Galápagos page, rather than repeat myself too much here.
To follow our trail here as we experienced it, please read my tips in order, starting with our journey here.
And when you have finished your visit to Genovesa, do continue to the next island on our itinerary, Santiago
- In a nutshell:A birdwatcher’s paradise
The downside of a visit to Genovesa is the long voyage needed to reach the island, as it lies at some distance from the... more travel advice
After taking our photos on the beach we headed away from it to walk among the red mangrove and palo santo trees, in... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Isla Genovesa Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Isla Genovesa
- 7 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (235)
Have you been to Isla Genovesa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla Genovesa
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: MAJOR PROBLEMS WITH 15 DAY..."
- Commented on one of toonsarah's Isla Genovesa travel pages
- updated a Isla Genovesa Travel Page "Bird Island"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Bird Island"
- Wrote a Review The furthest island in Isla Genovesa Transportation
- Uploaded a Video to Isla Genovesa
Photos in Isla GenovesaSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 233 reviews, 727 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 138 reviews, 363 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 68 reviews, 300 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 56 reviews, 293 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 67 reviews, 279 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 55 reviews, 259 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue