"Hot springs" Papallacta by toonsarah

Papallacta Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 153 photos

Evening clouds descend on Papallacta

Papallacta is a small Andean town 67 kilometres east of Quito, known for its hot springs. We decided to splurge on a night at its most upmarket hotel, the Termas de Papallacta, and were not disappointed. We had a great time here, although the weather was mostly rather dull and even at times drizzly.

We enjoyed a soak in the hot springs, a very good dinner and a short walk on one of the resort’s extensive network of trails. With more time we would have wandered further afield – a two night visit here would not be too long.

We slept in a lovely wooden cabin with a small hot pool right outside. If you’re on a budget you can still visit Papallacta as buses from Quito serve the town (though the hot springs are some distance from the road down a mud track) and there are much cheaper accommodation options. But we enjoyed our splurge and I highly recommend a stay at the Termas if you can manage it. Just bring a warm jumper as it gets very chilly here at night, being considerably higher even than Quito, at 3,225 metres.

This is one of a number of small pages about a variety of places we visited on our holiday in Ecuador. There is more information about the country as a whole and our experiences there on my overview page, linked above.

Please start your visit to Papallacta with my accommodation tip

• Pros:A great place to unwind for a day or two
  • Cons:Can be chilly
  • Last visit to Papallacta: Oct 2012
  • Intro Updated Jan 25, 2013

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2013 at 2:12 AM

We went in hot pools like that in New Zealand. Snow was all around and the pools were hot. It was great, so I know how you felt sitting there in the pool!

Mar 3, 2013 at 4:16 AM

Getting out is the only hard part! Thank you for visiting :-)

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Simply magic!!!!

Feb 24, 2013 at 2:46 AM

We were very happy that we had chosen to stay there - well worth the splurge for one night! Thank you for visiting with me :-)

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2013 at 11:51 PM

It looks lovely with the hot pools and surrounding mountains! I had planed to visit Papallacta in the end of my last trip, but that is when I took out the pins from the wrist and with new stitches I could not swim, so it was better to save Papallacta for my next trip to Ecuador instead.

Jan 26, 2013 at 4:20 AM

You were right to leave it - if you can't go in the pools here there's little point in coming, as you can get lovely scenery in lots of places

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2013 at 12:27 PM

It looks like you had a great time here :)

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Papallacta

Have you been to Papallacta?

Latest Activity in Papallacta