"The town on the bay" Puerto Ayora by toonsarah
Puerto Ayora Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 231 photos
But you could hardly call this a large town – it just felt that way after our recent experiences. From a visitor’s perspective it consist mainly of a single long street running parallel to the sea, lined with small shops, bars and restaurants, and a few hotels.
If you are on a Galápagos cruise a visit to Puerto Ayora provides an opportunity to shop for souvenirs, pick up emails and VT messages, and maybe to eat and drink on dry land for a change. If you don’t want to cruise the islands but would prefer a land-based holiday, there are a number of hotels here to suit most budgets, and day trips can be arranged to the nearer islands.
We only spent a few hours in town. It was enough to enjoy a very good coffee (at the centrally-located Il Giardino), buy a couple of small souvenirs and postcards, and to take some photos of the activity at the lively fish market in the middle of town – activity that was at least as attractive to the local pelicans and Galápagos sea lions as it was to us!
This is one of a series of pages about the various islands we visited on our Galápagos cruise. In those individual island pages I aim to describe in more detail what we did on each island, the environment and landscape, and the wildlife to be found there. But for detailed descriptions of the animals and plants etc I have included links to my main Galápagos page, rather than repeat myself too much here.
To follow our visit here as we experienced it, please read my tips in order, starting with Charles Darwin Research Centre.
And when you have finished your visit to Puerto Ayora, do continue to the next island on our itinerary, Española
The Charles Darwin Research Centre is run by the Charles Darwin Foundation, an international not-for-profit organization... more travel advice
One inhabitant we did not see at the Charles Darwin Research Centre was Lonesome George, arguably at one time the most... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Puerto Ayora Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Puerto Ayora"
- "The town on the bay"
- "Gateway point with Baltra as a proxy"
- "Puerto Ayora Santa Cruz Island Galapagos"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Puerto Ayora
- Hotels in Puerto Ayora
- Transportation in Puerto Ayora
- Restaurants in Puerto Ayora
- Shopping in Puerto Ayora
- Warnings and Dangers in Puerto Ayora
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Puerto Ayora
- 6 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (108)
Have you been to Puerto Ayora?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Puerto Ayora
- Posted in Travel London Forum "Re: Six days in London"
- Commented on one of toonsarah's Puerto Ayora travel pages
- updated a Puerto Ayora Travel Page "The town on the bay"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The town on the bay"
- Wrote a Review Charles Darwin Research Centre: Giant Tortoise bre in Puerto Ayora Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 189 reviews, 521 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 107 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 52 reviews, 204 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 144 photos