"The emerald mirror" Top 5 Page for this destination Laguna Quilotoa by toonsarah
Laguna Quilotoa Travel Guide: 62 reviews and 415 photos
We came to Quilotoa with Jose Luiz, on the morning after our overnight stay in the hacienda near Cotopaxi . Having stopped for a while in the market at Pujili, and been held up in road-works, it was late morning when we arrived. Later the day was to get very rainy, even stormy, but for now it was dry but with low cloud. Although I had hoped to see the lake in sunshine, I have to say that the gloomy light made it very atmospheric and brought out the green colours very effectively.
There is a path down to the lake from the viewpoint, but we decided not to walk down – partly because of the weather, partly because of my dodgy knee, and partly because we were later than we’d planned and it became a choice between a walk or lunch! So instead we just took a shorter walk a little way along the path round the rim (the full circuit would take the best part of a day).
We then had lunch in the small community-run café right by the viewpoint, sitting by a cosy log fire. As we ate a thick fog descended, hiding both lake and the houses of the small village just below us from view, so we felt we’d made the right decision not to go down, although the clouds did lift again briefly as we left to give us a final view.
This is one of a number of small pages about a variety of places we visited on our holiday in Ecuador. There is more information about the country as a whole and our experiences there on my overview page, linked above.
To follow our route to and from Quilotoa, and our time there in the order we experienced it, please start with my first tip on nearby Pujili
- In a nutshell:Awesome!
We stopped in the small town of Pujili on our way to Quilotoa, to visit the market. As we had been in Otavalo a few days... more travel advice
We ate our lunch in a friendly café which is perched right on the crater’s edge near to the viewpoint – Kirutwa (I am... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Laguna Quilotoa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keep me in the Quilotoa Loop"
- "Quilotoa and Laguna Quilotoa"
- "The emerald mirror"
- "Beautiful, but cold"
- "Laguna Quilotoa"
- "Laguna Quilotoa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Laguna Quilotoa
- Hotels in Laguna Quilotoa
- Transportation in Laguna Quilotoa
- Nightlife in Laguna Quilotoa
- Restaurants in Laguna Quilotoa
- Shopping in Laguna Quilotoa
- Warnings and Dangers in Laguna Quilotoa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Laguna Quilotoa
- 5 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (108)
Have you been to Laguna Quilotoa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Laguna Quilotoa
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 189 reviews, 521 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 107 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 52 reviews, 204 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 144 photos