"The red island" Isla Rábida by toonsarah
Isla Rábida Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 57 photos
Rabida was the sixth island we visited on our Galápagos cruise on the Angelito, on the afternoon of the fourth day. It is one of the smaller islands, at just 4.9 sq km, and the relatively easy trail is just 1km in length, but very varied.
After spending a little time on the beach, photographing the sea lions against the strikingly coloured backdrop, we followed the path through the pale palo santo trees and climbed to a point above the beach from where we has a good view of the lagoon that lies just behind it, the red sands, the bay and the Angelito moored just off shore.
From here the trail forms a loop, and led us to another even more dramatic viewpoint on the cliffs where the contrasting colours of red rock, green Opuntia , blue sky and turquoise sea made for great photo opportunities. We then returned to the beach with a detour past the lagoon we had looked down on earlier, although disappointingly there were no flamingos here as is sometimes the case.
This is one of a series of pages about the various islands we visited on our Galápagos cruise. In those individual island pages I aim to describe in more detail what we did on each island, the environment and landscape, and the wildlife to be found there. But for detailed descriptions of the animals and plants etc I have included links to my main Galápagos page, rather than repeat myself too much here.
To follow our trail here as we experienced it, please read my tips in order, starting with our landing on Rabida’s red sands.
And when you have finished your visit to Rabida, do continue to the next island on our itinerary, Santa Cruz
- In a nutshell:Our most colourful island – red rocks, red sand, green Opuntia, turquoise sea, blue skies
Rabida lies immediately south of Santiago, and we came here directly from James Bay where we had spent the morning,... more travel advice
The trail we had been following through the Palo Santo led us next to another even more spectacular viewpoint on the... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Isla Rábida Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The red island"
- "Isla Rábida"
- "Red beaches, flamingos, sea lions and so much more"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Isla Rábida
- 5 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (108)
Have you been to Isla Rábida?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla Rábida
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 189 reviews, 521 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 107 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 52 reviews, 204 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 144 photos