"The red island" Isla Rábida by toonsarah

Isla Rábida Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 57 photos

On the red sands of Rabida

We had seen white coral beaches, yellow sand and black lava ones, and now here on Rabida (also known as Jervis) we found ourselves on a dramatically red one, surrounded by equally red cliffs. The colour is the result of a lot of ferric oxide in the lava that has been emitted from the spatter cones that form much of the island.

Rabida was the sixth island we visited on our Galápagos cruise on the Angelito, on the afternoon of the fourth day. It is one of the smaller islands, at just 4.9 sq km, and the relatively easy trail is just 1km in length, but very varied.

After spending a little time on the beach, photographing the sea lions against the strikingly coloured backdrop, we followed the path through the pale palo santo trees and climbed to a point above the beach from where we has a good view of the lagoon that lies just behind it, the red sands, the bay and the Angelito moored just off shore.

From here the trail forms a loop, and led us to another even more dramatic viewpoint on the cliffs where the contrasting colours of red rock, green Opuntia , blue sky and turquoise sea made for great photo opportunities. We then returned to the beach with a detour past the lagoon we had looked down on earlier, although disappointingly there were no flamingos here as is sometimes the case.

This is one of a series of pages about the various islands we visited on our Galápagos cruise. In those individual island pages I aim to describe in more detail what we did on each island, the environment and landscape, and the wildlife to be found there. But for detailed descriptions of the animals and plants etc I have included links to my main Galápagos page, rather than repeat myself too much here.

To follow our trail here as we experienced it, please read my tips in order, starting with our landing on Rabida’s red sands.

And when you have finished your visit to Rabida, do continue to the next island on our itinerary, Santa Cruz

• In a nutshell:Our most colourful island – red rocks, red sand, green Opuntia, turquoise sea, blue skies
  • Last visit to Isla Rábida: Nov 2012
  • Intro Updated Dec 31, 2012

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Good that they have eradicated the goats and are working on getting rid of the rats, so the native plants and animals can reclaim their habitat.

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Yes, they're working really hard on all the islands and take their responsibilities to protect them very seriously

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Wow! How lucky were you to see a Manta Ray! I really love the red beach!

Feb 8, 2013 at 4:14 AM

Thanks Dee. I was really pleased to see him as I'd missed the earlier sighting from the boat :-)

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Lovely island this is, and such magnificent colour contrasts!

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Beautiful colours! Too bad you didn't get to see the flamingos. When I visited Floreana I was a bit disappointed that there was only one flamingo in the lagoon, where often a lot of flamingos can be seen. Luckily I saw many more later on Isla Isabela.

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Yes, it was disappointing about the flamingoes, but seeing the manta ray meant that Rabida still held a special moment for us to enjoy :-)

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Isla Rábida

Have you been to Isla Rábida?

Latest Activity in Isla Rábida