"The Middle of the World" San Antonio by toonsarah
San Antonio Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 91 photos
The monument was erected to mark the line of the equator, but rather than cause confusion, as “Ecuador” means “Equator” in Spanish, it was given this more fanciful name. Today we know that in any case the monument stands not on the equator but very near it instead, but that is because we now have more sophisticated means of measuring such things than did those whose exploits are commemorated here.
The monument here commemorates the work of the French Geodesic Mission in 1736. In that year a multi-national team – Spanish, French and Ecuadorean – was sent to this region to try to scientifically verify the roundness of the Earth, and to establish whether its circumference were greater around its equator or around the poles. In doing this they needed to establish the exact line of the equator, and this is where they determined it lay – close, but not quite accurate, although impressive for that day and age.
By the monument is a line where you can stand, supposedly, straddling the equator. There are also various museums and attractions for the many visitors who come here (it is an easy trip out of Quito).
A few hundred metres away is another visitor attraction, Inti Nan, where we in fact spent most of our time. They claim that theirs is the true equator line, though others dispute that too. So maybe we have stood on the equator, and maybe not! Whatever the true location, we had a lot of fun here and even got our passports stamped to show that we had been right at the equator!
This is one of a number of small pages about a variety of places we visited on our holiday in Ecuador. There is more information about the country as a whole and our experiences there on my overview page, linked above.
- In a nutshell:Ecuador means "equator" so this is sort of a must-see if visiting the country
The monument that bears the name Mitad del Mundo is a 30 metre tall stone pyramid topped with a globe 4.5 metres in... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
San Antonio Travel Guide
- Things to Do in San Antonio
- Transportation in San Antonio
- Restaurants in San Antonio
- Shopping in San Antonio
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Antonio
- 2 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (155)
Have you been to San Antonio?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Antonio
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: More.........."
- Commented on one of toonsarah's San Antonio travel pages
- updated a San Antonio Travel Page "The Middle of the World"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Middle of the World"
- Wrote a Review Ciudad Mitad del Mundo in San Antonio Things to Do
- Uploaded a Video to San Antonio
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 222 reviews, 688 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 127 reviews, 321 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 67 reviews, 279 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 46 reviews, 247 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 49 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos