"The black island" Isla San Salvador by toonsarah
Isla San Salvador Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 70 photos
In recent years a programme of eradication has removed the goats, pigs and donkeys; the Charles Darwin Centre’s breeding programme has revived the giant tortoise population; and the vegetation is gradually being restored. But even without this good news, Santiago would still be worth visiting, I think, for the drama of its relatively young (just over 100 years) lava flows.
We saw quite a lot of Santiago as in addition to a landing here on the fourth morning of our Galápagos cruise on the Angelito, we also snorkelled and had a dinghy ride along its eastern shore when moored in Sullivan Bay off Sombrero Chino on the second morning. But it was our wet landing on the black volcanic sands of James Bay (Puerto Egas) that was to be one of my favourite island visits. The trail led to an area of black lava, where we spent some time exploring the rock pools and the larger crevices, in one of which three sea lions were playfully enjoying the in-rushing sea water. I would happily have stayed here much longer than we did!
We also had a really good snorkelling session here – the first on which I saw a sea lion under water – a super end to our time here!
This is one of a series of pages about the various islands we visited on our Galápagos cruise. In those individual island pages I aim to describe in more detail what we did on each island, the environment and landscape, and the wildlife to be found there. But for detailed descriptions of the animals and plants etc I have included links to my main Galápagos page, rather than repeat myself too much here.
To follow our time here as we experienced it, please read my tips in order, starting with a panga ride
And when you have finished your visit to Santiago, do continue to the next island on our itinerary, Rabida
- In a nutshell:Sitting on the jagged-edged rocks of this other-world landscape, eye-balling a marine iguana, must be one of the quintessential Galápagos experiences
Our first introduction to Santiago came on our second day of cruising, when we anchored off the south-east coast to... more travel advice
On the morning of the fourth day of our Galápagos cruise on the Angelito we returned to Santiago after an all night... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Isla San Salvador Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The black island"
- "Santiago - Isla San Salvador"
- "Exploring San Salvador"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Isla San Salvador
- 6 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (116)
Have you been to Isla San Salvador?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla San Salvador
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Christmas greetings ..."
- Commented on one of toonsarah's Isla San Salvador travel pages
- updated a Isla San Salvador Travel Page "The black island"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The black island"
- Wrote a Review A panga ride off Santiago in Isla San Salvador Things to Do
- Uploaded a Video to Isla San Salvador
Videos in Isla San SalvadorSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 222 reviews, 688 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 120 reviews, 288 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 67 reviews, 279 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 46 reviews, 247 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 49 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos