"Indefatigable" Isla Santa Cruz by toonsarah
Isla Santa Cruz Travel Guide: 92 reviews and 695 photos
Unlike the barren volcanic landscapes we had seen elsewhere, its interior is lush and green, with plantations growing all sorts of crops. After five days at sea without seeing a single human habitation, passing these cultivated hillsides, and even more so, walking the streets of the small town, seemed like a return to a different world.
We spent a day here altogether – the fifth day of our Galápagos cruise on the Angelito. In the morning we visited the Charles Darwin Research Station, which offers an opportunity to get close to the giant tortoises that they breed here, although we were sadly too late to see the centre’s former most famous resident, Lonesome George, who had died about five months before our visit.
After our visit to the centre we walked into Puerto Ayora and enjoyed the novelties of drinking coffee in a café and shopping for souvenirs. In the afternoon we visited the highlands, where we had the opportunity to learn more about the giant tortoises and to see them in the wild, on one of the reserves where they are protected.
At the end of our cruise we saw another side of Santa Cruz, with an early morning panga ride in Black Turtle Cove before leaving for Baltra and our flight home. We were lucky enough to see White-tipped Reef Shark and Spotted Eagle rays here, as well as enjoying the beautiful and peaceful backwaters here.
This is one of a series of pages about the various islands we visited on our Galápagos cruise. In those individual island pages I aim to describe in more detail what we did on each island, the environment and landscape, and the wildlife to be found there. But for detailed descriptions of the animals and plants etc I have included links to my main Galápagos page, rather than repeat myself too much here.
To follow our visit here as we experienced it, please read my tips in order, starting with the Charles Darwin Research Centre.
I also have a separate page about Puerto Ayora which you may find interesting.
- In a nutshell:Home to the Giant Tortoises
The Charles Darwin Research Centre was set up in 1960 in order to promote research, conservation, and education in the... more travel advice
On the afternoon of our day on Santa Cruz we took the pangas across the small bay to the harbour pier and from there... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Isla Santa Cruz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Isla Santa Cruz"
- "Isla Santa Cruz Galapagos"
- "ISLA SANTA CRUZ GALAPAGOS ARCHIPELIGO"
- "The Three aspects of Santa Cruz"
- "From the beaches to the Highlands"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isla Santa Cruz
- Hotels in Isla Santa Cruz
- Transportation in Isla Santa Cruz
- Restaurants in Isla Santa Cruz
- Warnings and Dangers in Isla Santa Cruz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Isla Santa Cruz
- 5 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (151)
Have you been to Isla Santa Cruz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla Santa Cruz
- Posted in Travel New York City Forum "Re: Short listed places to stay....."
- Commented on one of toonsarah's Isla Santa Cruz travel pages
- updated a Isla Santa Cruz Travel Page "Indefatigable"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Indefatigable"
- Wrote a Review Charles Darwin Research Centre in Isla Santa Cruz Things to Do
- Uploaded a Video to Isla Santa Cruz
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 222 reviews, 688 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 128 reviews, 316 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 67 reviews, 279 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 46 reviews, 247 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 49 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos