"The early bird ..." Isla Santa Fe by toonsarah

Isla Santa Fe Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 61 photos

Juvenile Galápagos hawk

It was here on Santa Fe that I had two of my most memorable Galápagos experiences – an encounter with Galápagos hawks that seemed straight out of a TV documentary, and a wonderful swim with some sea lions!

Known also by the English name of Barrington, Santa Fe is one of the smaller islands at just 24 km sq, and has a single visitor site with a wet landing. Unlike many of the other islands, it is relatively flat, having been formed by an uplift of land rather than a volcanic eruption, about four million years ago.

We visited Santa Fe on the morning of the seventh day of our Galápagos cruise on the Angelito. The island is known for its own species of land iguana, which is larger than the others and found only here. It also has an extensive Opuntia forest, with the tallest trees in the archipelago, up to ten metres tall. We spent the first part of the morning here on the beach (where we saw the hawks) and searching for land iguanas among the Opuntia.

The second part of the morning was spent snorkelling with the sea lions in the green-blue waters of the beautiful bay.

This is one of a series of pages about the various islands we visited on our Galápagos cruise. In those individual island pages I aim to describe in more detail what we did on each island, the environment and landscape, and the wildlife to be found there. But for detailed descriptions of the animals and plants etc I have included links to my main Galápagos page, rather than repeat myself too much here.

To follow our trail here as we experienced it, please read my tips in order, starting with our landing.

And when you have finished your visit to Santa Fe, do continue to the next (and final) island on our itinerary, South Plaza

• In a nutshell:Magical wildlife encounters!
  • Last visit to Isla Santa Fe: Nov 2012
  • Intro Updated Dec 31, 2012

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Isla Santa Fe

Have you been to Isla Santa Fe?

Latest Activity in Isla Santa Fe