"The early bird ..." Isla Santa Fe by toonsarah
Isla Santa Fe Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 132 photos
Known also by the English name of Barrington, Santa Fe is one of the smaller islands at just 24 km sq, and has a single visitor site with a wet landing. Unlike many of the other islands, it is relatively flat, having been formed by an uplift of land rather than a volcanic eruption, about four million years ago.
We visited Santa Fe on the morning of the seventh day of our Galápagos cruise on the Angelito. The island is known for its own species of land iguana, which is larger than the others and found only here. It also has an extensive Opuntia forest, with the tallest trees in the archipelago, up to ten metres tall. We spent the first part of the morning here on the beach (where we saw the hawks) and searching for land iguanas among the Opuntia.
The second part of the morning was spent snorkelling with the sea lions in the green-blue waters of the beautiful bay.
This is one of a series of pages about the various islands we visited on our Galápagos cruise. In those individual island pages I aim to describe in more detail what we did on each island, the environment and landscape, and the wildlife to be found there. But for detailed descriptions of the animals and plants etc I have included links to my main Galápagos page, rather than repeat myself too much here.
To follow our trail here as we experienced it, please read my tips in order, starting with our landing.
And when you have finished your visit to Santa Fe, do continue to the next (and final) island on our itinerary, South Plaza
- In a nutshell:Magical wildlife encounters!
Barrington Bay is the only visitor site on Santa Fe. It is considered one of the most beautiful coves in the Galápagos,... more travel advice
From the small beach we took the short loop trail through the Opuntia forest on the headland to the north, overlooking... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Isla Santa Fe Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Isla Santa Fe
- 4 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (156)
Have you been to Isla Santa Fe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla Santa Fe
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Virtual Attendees for the 3..."
- Commented on one of toonsarah's Isla Santa Fe travel pages
- updated a Isla Santa Fe Travel Page "The early bird ..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "The early bird ..."
- Wrote a Review Santa Fe landing in Isla Santa Fe Transportation
- Uploaded a Video to Isla Santa Fe
Videos in Isla Santa FeSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 222 reviews, 688 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 127 reviews, 321 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 67 reviews, 279 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 46 reviews, 247 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 49 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos