"Our first Galápagos island experience" Isla Seymour by toonsarah
Isla Seymour Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 86 photos
This was the first island we visited on our Galápagos cruise on the Angelito, on the afternoon of our arrival day. Many cruises do this, as it is very near Baltra where most tourist flights arrive. And it’s a great introduction to the Galápagos!
North Seymour is quite arid, and the plant-life here includes the incense tree, yellow cordia and the Opuntia or prickly pear, one of three main cactus species found in the Galápagos . On the rocky shore where we landed we saw, in addition to the crabs, marine iguanas and lava lizards – our first sightings of both of these. The trail then took us first through an area where Blue-footed Boobies nested, and also Magnificent Frigatebirds. Other birds seen on the trail included Galápagos doves and gulls, and we also saw some land iguanas here.
Our guide Fabian allowed us plenty of time to enjoy the walk, never rushing us on, so we spent about three hours in total on this trail. We were to find that this would be the pattern everywhere we went, but on this first occasion I was very impressed that the emphasis was so much on discovery rather than covering the ground quickly, and that we had more than enough time both to take photos and also to relax and enjoy being with the animals.
Later the trail emerged onto the beach, and we spent some time here, photographing the sea lions and discovering just how close we could get to them! As we did so the sun started to sink and we enjoyed some beautiful light for these last photos, and a lovely sunset over the neighbouring island of Daphne Major. What a wonderful start to our explorations!
This is the first of a series of pages about the various islands we visited on our Galápagos cruise. In those individual island pages I aim to describe in more detail what we did on each island, the environment and landscape, and the wildlife to be found there. But for detailed descriptions of the animals and plants etc I have included links to my main Galápagos page, rather than repeat myself too much here.
To follow our trail here as we experienced it, please read my tips in order, starting with our landing.
And when you have finished your visit to North Seymour, do continue to the next island on our itinerary, Sombrero Chino
- In a nutshell:A wonderful introduction to the Galápagos!
Our first landing on one of the Galápagos Islands (if you don’t count the plane landing at Baltra) was this one on North... more travel advice
Beyond the immediate area around the landing place, the rocky trail leads over mainly flat ground through a forest of... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Isla Seymour Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "North Seymour"
- "Our first Galápagos island experience"
- "Isla North Seymour"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Isla Seymour
- 5 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (154)
Have you been to Isla Seymour?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla Seymour
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: VT Euromeet - Post Meet in..."
- Commented on one of toonsarah's Isla Seymour tips
- updated a Isla Seymour Travel Page "Our first Galápagos island experience"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Our first Galápagos island experience"
- Wrote a Review Landing on North Seymour in Isla Seymour Transportation
Photos in Isla SeymourSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 222 reviews, 688 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 128 reviews, 317 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 67 reviews, 279 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 46 reviews, 247 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 49 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos