"Hanging out in Rio" Rio de Janeiro by toonsarah
Rio de Janeiro Travel Guide: 3,628 reviews and 6,543 photos
The sweep of each bay is perfectly set between a series of headlands, the most famous of which is the steep outcrop of the Sugarloaf or the Pau de Açucar. And behind the city the hills are still covered in places by vestiges of the ancient rainforests, while on the highest the iconic statue of Christ the Redeemer stands as if to protect the city.
This beauty of course masks considerable poverty, which it is all too easy for the short-term visitor to forget. But that doesn’t make this anything other than an amazing destination and one to which I would love to return some day.
Although we only had a few days we managed to see quite a lot. Of course we went up the Sugar Loaf mountain, and also up to the Christ the Redeemer statue.
We spent time on Copacabana and Ipanema, soaking up the atmosphere and sipping coconut juice. And we went to a match at the Maracanã Stadium, a must for any football fan!
Remember that we were here some years ago. I’ve done my best to check that all my info is up to date but I appreciate things may have changed. Please do let me know if you spot any errors or discover changes that I should correct.
- Pros:A stunning setting for a city, and lots to see and do
- Cons:The sights are quite spread out
The coastline of Rio is a series of bays, each with its own character. Those nearer the city centre, such as Flamengo... more travel advice
We ate one evening at the Copacabana branch of this small Rio restaurant chain. Websites say that it can get busy after... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Rio de Janeiro Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "RIO DE JANEIRO HAS SECRETS"
- "Welcome to the City of God"
- "Rio de Janeiro - Minha casa / My Home"
- "Rio de Janeiro - My favourite place on earth!"
- "RIO DE JANEIRO - WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD!"
- "Imagining Rio"
- "Rio de Janeiro - a work in progress for a while..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rio de Janeiro
- Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
- Transportation in Rio de Janeiro
- Nightlife in Rio de Janeiro
- Restaurants in Rio de Janeiro
- Shopping in Rio de Janeiro
- Warnings and Dangers in Rio de Janeiro
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Rio de Janeiro
- 13 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Rio de Janeiro?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rio de Janeiro
Photos in Rio de JaneiroSee All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 172 reviews, 476 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 98 reviews, 211 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 45 reviews, 166 photos
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 144 photos
- Krakow Intro, 34 reviews, 140 photos, 8 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (158)
Latest Rio de Janeiro hotel reviews
- Hotel Debret
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Hotel Granada
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 23, 2013
- Rio Othon Palace
- 291 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Fasano Hotel
- 253 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Mar Ipanema
- 346 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Orla Copacabana Hotel
- 248 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Merlin Copacabana Hotel
- 45 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Savoy Othon
- 39 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 31, 2013
- Ibiza Copacabana Hotel
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 6, 2013
- Pousada Arambare
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Apr 17, 2013
- Toledo Copacabana Hotel
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 30, 2012
- Pestana Rio Atlantica Hotel
- 140 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- Ipanema Beach House
- 58 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2013
- B&B Yaya Rio Hotel
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 25, 2010
- Cama e Cafe
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 10, 2013