"… the beauty of the Spirit" Top 5 Page for this destination Bukhara by toonsarah
Bukhara Travel Guide: 374 reviews and 977 photos
A traditional saying tells us that:
and another that:
Certainly, this is where Uzbekistan really came to life for me. In the ancient streets of Bukhara history weaves itself effortlessly around the present-day lives of its people. Here you get a real sense of continuity – the world of the Silk Road caravans isn’t preserved in the aspic of Khiva, nor tucked into islands among the modern day bustle of Samarkand, but is an ever-present backdrop to daily life.
To walk these streets, duck through the low arches of the caravanserai and trading domes, sit for a while over green tea by the pool of Lyab-i-Huaz; this is what people of this city have done for centuries.
The people of Bukhara seem proud of the large number of historic monuments in their city. There are a number of unmissable individual sights, including the Ismael Samani Mausoleum, the Bolo Xauz Mosque, the Ark (fortress), the Poi Kalon ensemble (mosque and madrassah), the Chor Minor, the unusually decorated Nadir Divanbegi Madrassah and many others, as well as the trading domes mentioned above.
But do try to make some time simply to wander the streets or sit for a while in a Lyab-i-Hauz chaikhana to absorb the special atmosphere which for me was one of the main highlights of Bukhara.
Bukhara is quite compact and all the sights of the old town are easily explored on foot. As the Lyab-i-Hauz is so unmissable and is very much the heart of the city I’ve given most of my directions from here. Our guidebook (see below) did include a map indicating the main street names but I for one didn’t spot a single road sign, so follow my directions, ask locals the way or simply wander and see where your footsteps take you.
Here, that is certain to be somewhere captivating.
1. On the whole, I’ve written tips about the local customs and way of life on my Uzbekistan page. I’ve also included there some general information on things like packing, planning your visit etc. and some warnings. You may find some of this info duplicated here, but only where I feel it’s of particular relevance to do so.
2. Uzbek place names have several spellings. For instance, Khiva may also be spelt as Xiva or in the Cyrillic alphabet Õèâà. The same applies to the names, of people and places, so the Kalon Mosque is also called Kaylan. I’ve used the version taken from the excellent guidebook, “Uzbekistan: the Golden Road to Samarkand” (written by Calum MacLeod & Bradley Mayhew, published by Odyssey) which uses the most common form for well-known place-names (e.g. Tashkent rather than Toshkent) but adopts the newer Uzbek Latin spelling for street names, buildings etc.
3. Finally, and very importantly: in planning for and dreaming of my visit to Uzbekistan I owe so much to Ingrid (Trekki) who was always ready with advice and inspiration. Her Bukhara page inspired me and I'm sure it will do the same for you. Thank you so much, Ingrid :)
- In a nutshell:Evocative heart of the Silk Road
Even more than elsewhere in Uzbekistan, I remember especially the warmth of the people of Bukhara, so this tip is... more travel advice
When you’ve finished visiting the main palace here, head further into the grounds to see what else the complex has to... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Bukhara Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bukhara the Noble,"
- "Buchara - Silk Road Beauty Conserved Forever :-)"
- "… the beauty of the Spirit"
- "Bukhara - The Noble"
- "This city takes your breath away..."
- "Buhkara & the Holy Trade"
- "The Holy City at the Silk Road"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bukhara
- Hotels in Bukhara
- Transportation in Bukhara
- Nightlife in Bukhara
- Restaurants in Bukhara
- Shopping in Bukhara
- Warnings and Dangers in Bukhara
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bukhara
- 32 Reviews
- 77 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Bukhara?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bukhara
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 185 reviews, 512 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 107 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 52 reviews, 204 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 144 photos