"Away from the Silk Road" Nurata by toonsarah
Nurata Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 55 photos
And to the south is Karmana, worth a stop to see the old well, roadside caravanserai and interesting mausoleum.
This is also a good jumping off spot for a visit to the Kyzyl Kum (meaning “red sands”) Desert, where you can sleep in a traditional yurt; take a camel ride across the dunes and imagine yourself in a caravan of old; swim in the cooling waters of Aidarkul Lake and see ancient petroglyphs etched in the rocky hillsides.
We visited Uzbekistan with a tour organised by Explore, who specialise in smaller group tours and often go off the beaten track. Travelling this way meant we could get more easily to some of these out of the way destinations, although there are downsides to group travel as well. I’ve written more about our tour on my Uzbekistan page.
1. On the whole, I’ve written tips about the local customs and way of life on my Uzbekistan page. I’ve also included there some general information on things like packing, planning your visit etc. and some warnings. You may find some of this info duplicated here, but only where I feel it’s of particular relevance to do so.
2. Uzbek place names have several spellings. For instance, Nurata may also be spelt as Nurota. I’ve used the version taken from the excellent guidebook, “Uzbekistan: the Golden Road to Samarkand” (written by Calum MacLeod & Bradley Mayhew, published by Odyssey) which uses the most common form for well-known place-names (e.g. Tashkent rather than Toshkent) but adopts the newer Uzbek Latin spelling for street names, buildings etc.
- Pros:Good jumping-off point for a trip to the desert
- Cons:Less to see in the town itself
- In a nutshell:A night in a yurt is a very special experience
As I’ve described elsewhere, our journey to the yurt camp was in a small soviet bus, so we had to restrict ourselves... more travel advice
This was offered as an option at the desert camp – an option that only six of our number took up, which surprised me.... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Nurata Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Nurata
- Hotels in Nurata
- Transportation in Nurata
- Restaurants in Nurata
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nurata
- 16 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (115)
Have you been to Nurata?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nurata
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 222 reviews, 688 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 120 reviews, 288 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 67 reviews, 279 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 46 reviews, 247 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 49 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos