Samarkand Transportation Tips by toonsarah Top 5 Page for this destination
Samarkand Transportation: 9 reviews and 10 photos
On Registan Street
To get to the Karimbek Restaurant one evening we took a taxi, and as Samarkand is more spread out than the other Silk Road cities you may find that you have to do the same. You can hail a taxi on the street – we walked to Registan St from our hotel and got one almost immediately. If there’s a taxi sign on the roof you know it’s “for hire” – once we got in the driver simply reached up to the roof, removed the sign and stowed it on the front seat until it would be needed again.
Our ride to the restaurant cost 2,000 som, a price we agreed with the driver before setting off. On our return we chose a taxi from several parked outside the restaurant and were told the price to the Registan would be 2,500 som. Both times we in fact gave the driver 3,000 som, so the slightly greedier one got no more than his colleague! We were advised that no taxi journey within the city should cost more than this amount so it may be that we paid slightly over the going rate, but at those low prices we weren’t going to complain, and it is after all the drivers’ livelihood.
More Reviews (25)
toonsarah's Related Pages
Samarkand Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mirror of the World,"
- "Take the Golden Road to Samarqand"
- "Samarkand - Central Asia's Eternal Beauty"
- "Splendour of the Silk Road"
- "Magical City"
- "Samarkand, a tale city"
- "Crossroads of Cultures"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Samarkand
- Hotels in Samarkand
- Transportation in Samarkand
- Nightlife in Samarkand
- Restaurants in Samarkand
- Shopping in Samarkand
- Warnings and Dangers in Samarkand
- See All...
Explore the World
- Punta Cana Hotels
- Cebu City
- Edisto Beach
- Sonoma Coast State Beach Hotels
- Malang Hotels
- Darjeeling Hotels
- Montecatini Terme
Badges & Stats in Samarkand
- 26 Reviews
- 92 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 25 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Samarkand?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Samarkand
- Posted in Travel Gubbio Forum "Re: Is there a bus between Gubbio..."
- updated a Samarkand Travel Page "Splendour of the Silk Road"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Splendour of the Silk Road"
- Wrote a Review Bibi Khanum Mosque in Samarkand Things to Do
- Commented on one of TheWanderingCamel's Samarkand travel pages
Photos in SamarkandSee All Photos (92)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 172 reviews, 476 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 98 reviews, 211 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 45 reviews, 166 photos
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 144 photos
- Krakow Intro, 34 reviews, 140 photos, 8 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (158)
Latest Samarkand hotel reviews
- Hotel Afrosiyob Palace
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 21, 2012