""Stone Fortress": Uzbekistan's modern capital" Tashkent by toonsarah
Tashkent Travel Guide: 265 reviews and 578 photos
Tashkent (the name means "stone fortress") became a Muslim city in the 8th century AD, was part of Ghenghis Khan's empire in the 13th century, an important commercial centre during the Middle Ages and from the mid 19th century part of the Russian empire.
Today it is a largely modern city, thanks mainly to the devastation caused by a huge earthquake in 1966. It is often overlooked for this reason, and certainly doesn't have the wealth of attractions of the Silk Road cities, but there are some monuments and other sights worth visiting. As you're almost bound to arrive in the country through Tashkent's airport, why not hang around for a day or two to see what the city has to offer.
Highlights for me included the Osman Koran, claimed to be oldest in world and now on display in a newly restored library; the beautiful suzanni (traditional embroideries) on display at the Applied Arts Museum, and the building which houses that museum also; the starkly moving memorial to the earthquake; and what proved to be one of the tastiest meals we had in Uzbekistan at the Caravan Arts Cafe.
I have to say thought that we didn't really get the best out of our visit to Tashkent. We only had one day here, and the previous day had had a long journey from home, only arriving at 3.30 AM, and only getting to bed (thanks to the long processes involved in clearing customs etc) at 5.45 AM. Not the best preparation for a day's sightseeing! Add to that our first taste of the hot Uzbek summer sun, and you can see why I managed not to take so many pictures as usual nor visit as many sights as I would have liked.
1. On the whole, I've written tips about the local customs and way of life on my Uzbekistan page. I've also included there some general information on things like packing, planning your visit etc. and some warnings. You may find some of this info duplicated here, but only where I feel it's of particular relevance to do so.
2. Uzbek place names have several spellings. For instance, Tashkent may also be spelt as Toshkent. I've used the version taken from the excellent guidebook, "Uzbekistan: the Golden Road to Samarkand" (written by Calum MacLeod & Bradley Mayhew, published by Odyssey) which uses the most common form for well-known place-names but adopts the newer Uzbek Latin spelling for street names, buildings etc.
3. Finally, and very importantly: in planning for and dreaming of my visit to Uzbekistan I owe so much to Ingrid (Trekki) who was always ready with advice and inspiration. Her Tashkent page inspired me and I'm sure it will do the same for you. Thank you so much, Ingrid :)
- Pros:Good introduction to the culture & history of Uzbekistan
- Cons:So much lost to the earthquake
Tashkent’s airport is located only 7 km from the city centre, and handles both international and domestic flights. We... more travel advice
This is a lovely small museum, both for its collections and perhaps even more so for the building that houses it. This... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Tashkent Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tashkent - full of life, color and so much charm"
- "A city rebuilt"
- "Capital of Uzbekistan"
- "A soviet-styled capital hiding some true charm"
- "Old world meets Russia"
- "Random pictures of Tashkent (1)"
- ""Stone Fortress": Uzbekistan's modern capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tashkent
- Hotels in Tashkent
- Transportation in Tashkent
- Nightlife in Tashkent
- Restaurants in Tashkent
- Shopping in Tashkent
- Warnings and Dangers in Tashkent
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tashkent
- 8 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (111)
Have you been to Tashkent?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tashkent
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Entertainment of the Day in VT"
- updated a Tashkent Travel Page ""Stone Fortress": Uzbekistan's modern capital"
- Uploaded a Photo to ""Stone Fortress": Uzbekistan's modern capital"
- Wrote a Review Arriving in Tashkent in Tashkent Transportation
- Commented on one of TheWanderingCamel's Tashkent travel pages
Photos in TashkentSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 202 reviews, 610 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 108 reviews, 250 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 46 reviews, 247 photos, 7 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 49 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 52 reviews, 204 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos