"A day in the Cotswolds" Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucestershire by toonsarah
Gloucestershire Travel Guide: 649 reviews and 1,826 photos
The downside might be perceived to be the large number of tourists who come here looking for all the above, but it is surprisingly easy to find a corner away from the masses. The larger villages and towns, with their numerous tourist facilities (pubs, cafés, hotels and attractions), do draw the crowds, as do a couple of particularly famous spots such as Lower Slaughter.
Elsewhere, however, there are numerous almost as pretty villages where the only sounds are likely to be the birdsong beloved of poet Edward Thomas (see my Adlestrop tips below), and maybe a mower readying the village green for cricket.
The Cotswold Hills are a line of hills stretching from about 7 miles south of Stratford-upon-Avon in a south-westerly direction to Bath, a distance of 70 miles. They probably get their name from “cot”, meaning a pen or enclosure for animals (in this case a sheep-pen) and their gentle hillsides, the “wolds”. Another possible explanation is that the word derives from the name of a man in the 12th century who owned high forest land: Codwald.
The main feature that distinguishes the area from other, perhaps equally pretty, parts of England, and which has made it famous, is the consistent use of the local honey-coloured limestone as a building material. The colour of the stone in fact varies depending on the location of where it was quarried. Generally, in the northern part of the Cotswolds the stone is a beautiful “honey golden brown” and further south the stone becomes creamier in colour. Even today, most new buildings have to be built of this material and in a style that blends in with the old.
The Cotswold Hills straddle several counties – mainly Gloucestershire and Oxfordshire, but a little bit of Warwickshire too. Our recent day out with Ingrid (aka Trekki) took us to the first two of these, and I’ve created a small page about each in an effort to keep tips in the right place for the county they refer too. Please have a look at my small Oxfordshire page for a few tips about the villages we visited there (and a very nice pub lunch).
By the way, several of my tips are duplicated on the two pages in case people only find one or the other, so please don’t rate both!
- Pros:Beautiful countryside, picturesque villages
- Cons:Can get crowded in the most popular villages
- In a nutshell:Quintessentially English
Remembrance Sunday is commemorated in England on the second Sunday of November, which is the Sunday nearest to 11th... more travel advice
This is one of the most popular destinations in the Cotswolds, perhaps understandably so, given its almost... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Gloucestershire Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A day in the Cotswolds"
- "The Cotswolds"
- "The Honey-Coloured Stones of the Cotswolds"
- "A few days driving around the Cotswolds"
- "Photos of Lower Slaughter, the Cotswolds"
- "THE COTSWOLDS"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gloucestershire
- Hotels in Gloucestershire
- Transportation in Gloucestershire
- Nightlife in Gloucestershire
- Restaurants in Gloucestershire
- Shopping in Gloucestershire
- Warnings and Dangers in Gloucestershire
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gloucestershire
- 11 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (174)
Have you been to Gloucestershire?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gloucestershire
Photos in GloucestershireSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 233 reviews, 725 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 133 reviews, 344 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 68 reviews, 300 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 56 reviews, 293 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 67 reviews, 279 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 55 reviews, 259 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue