"England’s Border country" Top 5 Page for this destination Northumberland by toonsarah

Northumberland Travel Guide: 370 reviews and 1,168 photos

Bamburgh Castle

Northumberland is one of England’s loveliest counties, and one of its least visited. This is due perhaps to its relative remoteness in the far north east of the country, and perhaps also to the fact that those of us who know how lovely it is choose not to shout its praises too loudly for fear that too many visitors will spoil it!

Despite that fear though, I cannot resist any longer the temptation to share some of its beauty here on VT and to encourage anyone who wants to see a different side of England to visit. Whether you’re looking for stunning coastal scenery, wild landscapes or ancient history, you will find them here.

Some of the country’s most beautiful beaches line to Northumbrian coast, although the chilly waters of the North Sea and the often cold winds that blow off it mean that they will be largely deserted on all but the hottest of summer days. Inland the Cheviot Hills are almost completely unspoiled, and you can stand on the ancient Roman Hadrian’s Wall and look north across one of the least populated areas of the country. A series of majestic castles fringes the land on its seaward side, including Alnwick and Bamburgh – two of the most interesting castles in the country to visit. And to the south lies industrial Tyneside, which too has its attractions, not least in that very industrial heritage.

This page does not claim to paint a comprehensive picture of this beautiful county, but is rather a collection of snapshots of destinations there that I have enjoyed visiting. Some of these are duplicated from my Newcastle upon Tyne page, as they make great day trips from the city. I will add more suggestions as we continue to explore this lovely county.

• Last visit to Northumberland: Apr 2013
  • Intro Updated May 3, 2013

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Brilliant little page here.Now as you have shared so many outstanding photos of lovely Northumberland, you can be sure that sooner or later masses of tourists will check it out by themselves.

Jul 3, 2013 at 2:29 AM

I'm aware of that risk ;-) But hopefully one day you will be one of them!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2013 at 3:46 AM

I can see why you like visiting this area. Rothbury, Bamburgh Castle and Holy Island look like great places to explore. Also, I look forward to seeing you again in Sibiu and thrilled that you are staying at the IR. See you soon. xx Lori

Jun 2, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Thank you for visiting my page Lori. Really looking forward to seeing you and Hansi soon in Sibiu!

• starship's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Another amazing pocket full of beauty in England. As always, I enjoyed your lovely descriptions and photos!

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2013 at 2:50 AM

What a wonderful place, I love your photos! I must visit more of England - I would love to visit the old fashioned stores.

May 9, 2013 at 7:15 AM

Thanks for visiting Northumberland with me. I think you would like it there

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2013 at 3:36 PM

A beautiful selection of your photos from this lovely area. I am always fascinated by places with tides (never having lived in such a place).

May 5, 2013 at 2:33 AM

The tide pools on these Northumbrian beaches are wonderful.

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
      May 9, 2013 at 2:48 AM

Me too, Don, I live by the ocean and the tides still fascinate me :)

toonsarah Visits Here Frequently!

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Northumberland

Have you been to Northumberland?

Latest Activity in Northumberland