"England’s Border country" Top 5 Page for this destination Northumberland by toonsarah
Northumberland Travel Guide: 406 reviews and 1,311 photos
Despite that fear though, I cannot resist any longer the temptation to share some of its beauty here on VT and to encourage anyone who wants to see a different side of England to visit. Whether you’re looking for stunning coastal scenery, wild landscapes or ancient history, you will find them here.
Some of the country’s most beautiful beaches line to Northumbrian coast, although the chilly waters of the North Sea and the often cold winds that blow off it mean that they will be largely deserted on all but the hottest of summer days. Inland the Cheviot Hills are almost completely unspoiled, and you can stand on the ancient Roman Hadrian’s Wall and look north across one of the least populated areas of the country. A series of majestic castles fringes the land on its seaward side, including Alnwick and Bamburgh – two of the most interesting castles in the country to visit. And to the south lies industrial Tyneside, which too has its attractions, not least in that very industrial heritage.
This page does not claim to paint a comprehensive picture of this beautiful county, but is rather a collection of snapshots of destinations there that I have enjoyed visiting. Some of these are duplicated from my Newcastle upon Tyne page, as they make great day trips from the city. I will add more suggestions as we continue to explore this lovely county.
In the early years of the second century AD the northern limit of the Roman Empire lay in what is now the north of... more travel advice
In a county famed for its wide open sandy beaches, Alnmouth boasts one of the best. It also boasts the smallest museum... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Northumberland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Glorious Northumberland"
- "Northumberland - Northen Edge Of England"
- "England’s Border country"
- "North Northumberland"
- "Walking Hadrian's Wall"
- "England's Most Northerly County"
- "Ben-UK's Northumberland page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Northumberland
- Hotels in Northumberland
- Transportation in Northumberland
- Nightlife in Northumberland
- Restaurants in Northumberland
- Shopping in Northumberland
- Warnings and Dangers in Northumberland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Northumberland
- 46 Reviews
- 197 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (235)
Have you been to Northumberland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Northumberland
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 233 reviews, 727 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 133 reviews, 344 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 68 reviews, 300 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 56 reviews, 293 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 67 reviews, 279 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 55 reviews, 259 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue