"A glimpse at some Cotswold villages" Top 5 Page for this destination Oxfordshire by toonsarah

Oxfordshire Travel Guide: 1,442 reviews and 3,099 photos

Oxfordshire lies to the northwest, and within easy reach, of London. The star in its crown is indubitably Oxford itself, which one day I will revisit in order to describe on these pages, but for the time being my focus here is on the Cotswold Hills.

The Cotswolds in fact straddle several counties – mainly Gloucestershire and Oxfordshire, but a little bit of Warwickshire too. A recent day out with Ingrid (aka Trekki) took us to the first two of these, and I’ve created a small page about each in an effort to keep tips in the right place for the county they refer too.

~~~o~~~

The Cotswolds are a line of hills stretching from about 7 miles south of Stratford-upon-Avon in a south-westerly direction to Bath, a distance of 70 miles. I’ve written about them in more depth on my small Gloucestershire page, where you’ll also find tips about the villages we visited there. The tips here describe a couple of the pretty Oxfordshire villages we visited, and a lovely pub lunch :)

Several of the tips are duplicated on the two pages in case people only find one or the other, but please don’t rate both!

~~~o~~~

• Pros:Pretty as a postcard
  • Cons:A few of the villages can get busy, as can the roads around Oxford
  • In a nutshell:A lovely day out
  • Last visit to Oxfordshire: Jul 2008
  • Intro Updated Dec 23, 2011

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Hello, Sarah! Thanks for your detailed and interesting page!~

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Oh! What can I say, but your photo's of this area are excellent! I can fully understand the camera continually clicking, mine will be too!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2010 at 1:10 PM

This certainly does look like a quintessential Englishy region! I had never heard of the Burial in Wool Act -- amazing what governments will do to stimulate the economy!

• illumina's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2009 at 8:54 AM

Don't forget Worcestershire! We have a bit of the Cotswolds too!

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2009 at 1:50 PM

Found that pub in the nick of time. I was ready to kill for a pint, and that lamb looks pretty tasty too.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2008 at 7:42 AM

This sounds like a very lovely area. Excellent descriptions and photos.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2008 at 6:23 PM

"This Royal throne of Kings, this Sceptered Isle"! Ah yes Sarah, thank you for reminding me of the beauty of rural England! It has been far too long since I last visited. Happy Birthday (UK time) to you and also thanks for this beautiful page!

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2008 at 6:44 AM

So pretty! Lovely page!

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2008 at 4:26 PM

It seems that the Cotswolds' and Aussie wealth came off the sheeps back ;~)

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2008 at 2:08 PM

Another outstanding page of yours. I like the pub sign of the Shaven Crown. >:o)

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Oxfordshire

Have you been to Oxfordshire?