"Traveller extraordinaire" Alex37's Profile

Travel log

My passion for travel started as early as the age of five when my parents took me on safari to Kenya and a monkey stole my egg from the top of the bus.

A number of family holidays in the UK and Western Europe soon followed ranging from everything from the likes London, Edinburgh, the Lake District and Cornwall right the way through to the more exotic places of south of France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Denmark and Finland.

My first real opportuntity for independent travel came when I made the long trip all the way out to Australia at the ripe old age of 19, where I travelled around and worked for about six months, starting in Sydney and going up to Cairns via Brisbane and then coming back through Alice Springs, Ayers Rock, Adelaide, Melbourne and Canberra.

In my year in industry at univeristy I chose to work and live in Szombathely in Hungary and Hillegom in the Netherlands.

In between I managed to travel out to Peru to do the Inca Trail to Macchu Pichu and went across the length of Canada, taking in the Rocky Mountains, Vancouver and Vancouver Island, Winnipeg, Toronto and Halifax along the way.

With the appetite for travel well and truly whet by this stage I turned my attentions to Eastern Europe and have made numerous visits to a wide range of countries including Slovenia (where I enjoyed a game of paintball with the local police!), Croatia and Hungary (again) before progressing on to the Baltic States of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania and then Poland and Slovakia, before hitting the streets of St Petersburg and Moscow in Russia and Kiev and Odessa in the Ukraine a couple of years ago (even managing to squeeze in a bit of action in Bulgaria and Romania at the end of the trip).

Slovakia and the Czech Republic were the destinations in 2007, stopping off in the Tatras, Kosice, Bratislava and Brno along the way.

Two years ago I visited Romania by car, via a friend's wedding in Gyor, Hungary, taking in Budapest, Baia Mare, Sapanta, Cluj Napoca, Sighisoara, Brasov, Rasnov, Bran and Bucharest en route.

Last year I took in Mexico and Cuba, dropping in on Cancun, Playa Del Carmen, Akumal, Chichen Itza, Tulum and Coba in the former and Havana, Vinales, the Bay of Pigs, Cienfuegos, Trinidad and Santa Clara among other places. Then off to the Balkans and Albania and Macedonia in the summer.

I travelled to Prince Edward Island later that year and last year hit Belarus and the Ukraine (west side this time).

This year I went back to where it all began in Berlin...

They say travel broadens the mind and I hope it has for me - the ultimate goal is to one day cross Asia starting in Georgia, going via the former Soviet states and 'Stans and then up through Russia, China and Mongolia before arriving at journey's end in Vladivostok on the edge of the world.

Anyone wishing to share their travel experiences or wants to meet up along the way is most welcome to get in contact.

Cheers,

Alex.

• Intro Updated Mar 9, 2011

• Oksa123's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2013 at 2:41 AM

Happy Birthday to you, Alex! Health and good luck to you! Be happy!

• dustmon's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2011 at 8:40 AM

Hey Alex---you are the top guy from Bermuda---have any tips for a couple looking for a private cottage or small house (or bungalow) to rent for a week in September? Thanx for your time! dusty in georgia

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Yeah, let's see some pages. If you need any help getting started, let me know.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2009 at 12:06 PM

It looks like you have been to many interesting places in Eastern Europe. So why haven't you built any pages yet?

• MikeStarr5's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2007 at 7:25 PM

Happy Birthday from Mike and Shelley in sunny "Barking Town" - Woof, Woof - Have a great day !

• irishgalmtl's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2006 at 12:11 AM

Greeting from Montreal, I would like to wish you a BiG HaPPy BirThDaY!! CHEERS!...Donna :)

• Gemi_7's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2005 at 11:24 AM

hey:) nice:) I'm in the UK now What a coinsidence! what kind of places of Petersburg u are interested in ?

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
Alex37's Profile Photo

Alex37

“Knowledge is the principal thing, therefore get wisdom and in all thy getting get understanding”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.