"Mt Cook" Mount Cook by Josilver
Mount Cook Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 146 photos
Mount Cook is the highest mountain in New Zealand, 3,754 m (12,316 ft). It is located in the Southern Alps range that runs the length of the West Coast of the South Island. The mountain is located within the Aoraki/Mount Cook National Park. The park was formally declared in 1953, and in combination with Westland National Park is one of the United Nations World Heritage Parks. The park contains more than 140 peaks standing over 2,000 m (6,500 ft) and 72 named glaciers, which cover 40% of the park's 700 km² (173,000 acres). Mt Cook’s Maori name is Aoraki which means "Cloud Piercer".
The first recorded summit of Mt Cook was by New Zealanders Tom Fyfe, James (Jack) Clarke and George Graham on 25 December 1894. Swiss guide Matthias Zurbriggen climbed the mountain solo very shortly afterwards from the Tasman Glacier side, and now has a ridge named after him.
Josilver's Related Pages
Mount Cook Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mount Cook National Park - Breathtaking Mountains"
- "MOUNT COOK AREA IS IMPRESSIVE"
- "Mackenzie Country"
- "Mount Cook"
- "Mt. Cook - A Must See?"
- "Following Sir Edmund Hillary is not easy"
- "MT COOK"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mount Cook
- Hotels in Mount Cook
- Transportation in Mount Cook
- Restaurants in Mount Cook
- Warnings and Dangers in Mount Cook
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Mount Cook
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Mount Cook?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mount Cook
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milford Sound Intro, 22 reviews, 25 photos
- Antarctica Intro, 18 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parque Nacional Canaima Intro, 13 reviews, 19 photos
- San José Intro, 12 reviews, 19 photos
- Dunedin Intro, 11 reviews, 20 photos
- Cradle Mountain-Lake Saint Clair National Park Intro, 9 reviews, 14 photos
- Uganda Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos
- Lake Nakuru National Park Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coogee Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
Latest Mount Cook hotel reviews
- The Hermitage Hotel
- 627 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013