"Angel Falls" Top 5 Page for this destination Parque Nacional Canaima by Josilver

Parque Nacional Canaima Travel Guide: 60 reviews and 246 photos

Rapids, waterfalls and a sore butt

Starting in Ciudad Bolivar - Air travel venezuelan style, first the person from the company turned up and said there was a fuel shortage so I was going with a different company and gave me the money in an envelope to pay then, I had to pay the airport tax and got a receipt about 5cm square piece of paper , it wasnt til later that i relized this was actually my plane ticket, I stood around with a bunch of old english people on tour waiting for the plane we asked when it was leaving and was told -when the pilot arrives-atl east that logical I wouldnt want any one else flying it- eventually the pilot arrived and we go checked though security by what looked like a 16 yr old girl with a machine gun, I was a little concerned when she dropped it. the plane wasa tiny little 4 seater andI had to sit with my knees around my ears.

Any way we finally got to Canaima lagoon which is a really nice lagoon with waterfalls al around it I was taken in the open back of a truck to meet the other people on the 2 day tour. There was Yenica, her husband of 5 days paul and his slovakian brother Vlado. Yenica is Venezuelan and she and paul live in Toronto. There was also a chilean english translator and his american girlfriend- there is always something that creeps me out about men who go out with women half their age. Any way we had to walk 15min to the boats and before I tell you about them let me ask you what is the longest river in the world - the Nile wrong!!!!!!!! It is the Churon river in Canaima, believe me one you have sat in a wooden canoe on a hard wooden plank, being bounced around in rapids and soaked ever 5 minutes with your feet in 20cm of water for 5 HOURS!!!!!!!! you would belive me. as I am sitting on a wooden chair my butt is still reminding me. The first coulple of hours were Ok but then we hit the rapids and because it is the end of the dry season and we were going up river it made it very difficult. each time we got to a rapid we had to stop our guidein the front of the canoe got out a wooden pole to manouvre around the rocks so the driver could use the engine and not hit the bottom, despite this we had to stop to fix the propeller twice - unlike normal tour companys they appeared to have no radio comunication so we though we weregoing to be stuck on this boat in the middel of the jungle or worse have to turn around and float back. But we finally made it after some very scary moments, the only bonus is the adrenalin took our minds off how much our butts hurt as each time we went over a rapid we were rocked back anf forth distributing the pain evenly over or entire rear end.

Very relieved we got out of the boat and started walking through the jungle to the falls it took about an hour and believe me it is worth it they are huge nearly a km high. I have lots of photos, even one of me swinging on a vine doing a tarzan impression. we decied to take a detour to see another water fall and Paul was left behind and we though he was catching up but instead he turned around and went back to camp so we spent about half an hour looking for him, Yenica was not impressed and i think he got his first talking to of married life. By this time it was after 5pm and we still had to walk back, by the time we got to camp it was nearly pitch black and all the girls were chucking nannas about getting eaten by bugs and spiders.

Camping Canaima Style

The camp was like a big shed with no walls and the hammocks hung in rows down the middle - you will be happy to know they had mozzie nets. the toilets were a bit dodgy so finding a tree in the jungle was a much better option. For dinner we had chicken that had been roasted on a spit with vegetables, it was OK. Suprisingly sleeping in a hammock is quite comfy and it poured rain most of the night. Paul and Vlado decided to walk up to the water falls again at 5am to see the bits Paul missed. I decided once was enough. During breakfast the girls realised that a giant spider had built a web over the table and started screaming, I just shook my head at them then got two plastic cups stood on the chair and caught it between the cups then threw it outside - it wasnt huriting any one. They now think i am some sort of female steve erwin. Luckily the rain over night had made the river rise about a metre so we didnt have to negotiate the rocks so much and as we weregoing down river it was quicker, I took my towel to sit on this time but it was still really uncomfortable. when we got back we were walking back to the main camp when Yenica started throwing a hissy fit because a grass hopper jumped on her - I turnd around and said I would be more concerned about that - a 1.5 metre snake was curled up on the side fo the road. our guide told us it was a rattle snake, we all went back to look and take pictures, but it had slid off into the bushes by this time. Every one was going wow how did you see that- well firstly I wasnt having a fit over a grass hopper and secondly it wasnt hard to miss. any way my hour is almost up so will tell you more later JO

• Pros:Amazing scenery really feels like the lost world
  • Cons:5 hours on a wwoden plank in a canoe
  • In a nutshell:Absolutely worth it
  • Intro Updated Feb 11, 2008

Josilver

“If you are not living on the edge you are taking up to much room”

Badges & Stats in Parque Nacional Canaima

Have you been to Parque Nacional Canaima?

Latest Activity in Parque Nacional Canaima