"Ushuaia" Ushuaia by Josilver
Ushuaia Travel Guide: 429 reviews and 1,178 photos
Hola, we are in Ushuaia, we are boarding our boat this afternoon and have just dropped off our luggage. Our ship came into port yesterday afternoon we were very excited when we first saw it. it is small and red (hence the name the little red ship) it was docked next to a giant cruise liner that fits 1200 people making it look very small ( ours only fits 150 including crew). Ushuaia (the city at the end of the world, la ciudad de fine del mundo) is very small and expensive. They have a severe shortage of vegetables so we have spent the last 2 1/2 days looking for restaurants that serve vegetables, we might die of scurvy on the boat. We went the the jail and the museum. They started a penal colony here because Australia was such a good example. We stayed at the finis terrae B&B, it was very nice and we are surrounded by snow capped mountains. We think it snowed on them yesterday because the snow appears to now be lower on the slopes. Ushuaia has the longest ski season in the southern hemisphere. The weather has been suprsingly nice, about 10 degrees, and wrapped up in my woolies I havent been cold, yet! We met a lady called Barbara from melbourne at the finnis terrae, she is a retired school teacher who (when she is not travelling overseas) lives in a 4 wheel drive and travels Australia )she has done this for about 10 years. Another person staying there went on a yacht to antarctica to go ice climbing and when they were on the beach an iceberg broke off into the water and created at tidal wave and washed them all into the water one guy broke his leg and the other was in the icy water for 10 minutes and was dissapointed when they cancelled the rest of the trip Jayne and I are slowly getting over our cold and we gave it to our host at the finnis terrae instead, he was very appreciative. Better go stock up on some goodies to take on the boat. Must go, hear from us when we get back from antarctica. Jayne and Jo
- Pros:Very pretty town
- Cons:As much as it tries, Ushuaia is really not that interesting
Great restaurant in Ushuaia that actually serves decent vegetables. HIghly recommended is the egg plant salad. Their... more travel advice
Josilver's Related Pages
Ushuaia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "It's the end of the World (as we know it)"
- "end of the world & beginning of everything"
- "Tierre del Fuego"
- "FIN DEL MUNDO"
- "The end of the world"
- " Ushuaia "
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ushuaia
- Hotels in Ushuaia
- Transportation in Ushuaia
- Nightlife in Ushuaia
- Restaurants in Ushuaia
- Shopping in Ushuaia
- Warnings and Dangers in Ushuaia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ushuaia
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Ushuaia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ushuaia
Photos in UshuaiaSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milford Sound Intro, 22 reviews, 25 photos
- Sydney Intro, 23 reviews, 20 photos
- Antarctica Intro, 18 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thredbo Village Intro, 10 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parque Nacional Canaima Intro, 13 reviews, 19 photos
- San José Intro, 12 reviews, 19 photos
- Dunedin Intro, 11 reviews, 20 photos
- Cradle Mountain-Lake Saint Clair National Park Intro, 9 reviews, 14 photos
- Uganda Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coogee Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos