"Where The Two Niles Meet" Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum by redsaga

Khartoum Travel Guide: 357 reviews and 772 photos

The first thing you hear about Khartoum is the heat. The second thing you hear is about the dust. The third thing is the nice people. I'm willing to agree on all of it. I got off the plane in the middle of the night, and it was allready 40 degrees outside and by the time I got to my new house there I had sand everywhere (literally EVERYWHERE). Obviously I'm lucky to be here at the "coolest" part of the year, when it's only unbearable hot and it actually rains once in a while, and when it does the whole city is under water which makes it almost impossible to go on foot.

Khartoum isn't exactily a beautiful city, but it definitly has it's charm and the people are among the friendliest I've ever come across. I think there is something about the atmosphere that makes a stay in Khartoum worth it. Somehow the city MAKES you like it, whether you want it or not. This will probably never be a touristy place, and if you're a westerner or white you can be sure to get loads of attention.

I haven't gotten my photo permition (yes, you need one of those here) yet so all the photos that are on this page are actually taken in secret so don't tell anyone! As soon as I get my permition I will add more photos.

Once in a while Khartoum can be a bit too much of everything and then it can be a comfort to know that it's easy to escape. Of the three sister cities (Khartoum, Khartoum North/Bahri and Omdurman) is Khartoum North/Bahri a good place to go. If you go to the outskirts of the city, Shabia for example, you will soon find yourself in a lushy environment where agriculture dominates. A stroll along the shore on this side of the Nile is a pleasant activity and there are good chances of taking some nice pictures here.

Speaking of pictures, I added some pics of the people of Khartoum in a travelogue. Check them out!

Whatever people say, Khartoum really isn't that bad. As a matter of fact I have grown into sort of liking it a lot here. As soon as you learn to relax and just go with the flow, this city is a nice place to be based. Enjoy a city where there is absolutely no stress at all and dare to accept the invitations you will most likely get on an almost everyday basis while staying here. The first couple of months I mostly hung out with my expat friends, but as soon as I got more sudanese friends I immediately started to like it more.

• Pros:As friendly and relaxing as any capital can get
  • Cons:The heat and dust
  • In a nutshell:Be as local as you possibly can, and you will have a great time!
  • Last visit to Khartoum: Jan 2006
  • Intro Updated Apr 13, 2006

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2009 at 7:24 AM

Nice to get a tourist's view of Khartoum, Pity I wasn't around at the time you were. Good tips,

• carlicious's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2007 at 3:19 AM

Yes, Wang's the place..It's a bit like school, there's even a flat screen. The food's good too!

• planxty's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2006 at 6:34 PM

Very insightful tips on a place I have never been, but owuld certainly like to now because of your writing! Great wotk, Maria. fergy.

• Sininen's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2006 at 10:02 AM

Hej Maria! What an excellent page on Khatoum! In your tips I can read the respect you have for this city. I just love the pic of granpa rastafari. Made me smile! Cheers, Sini

• Sheemoz's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2005 at 10:41 PM

Salam Maria, Eid Mobarak very late... i love the trip although i'm here!! thanx zamil,, hope this find u in good conditions..

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2005 at 11:37 AM

Very interesting and useful tips. I'm not likely to go there (much too hot for me) so thanks for the virtual tour.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2005 at 11:17 AM

Maria, you were lucky to get there! Useful tips, thanks and ~ good luck in the future! ~ Vic

redsaga Works Here!

redsaga

“You will only regret what you never did”

Badges & Stats in Khartoum

Have you been to Khartoum?

Latest Activity in Khartoum